News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Military enthusiasts re-enact the Vietnam War

Started by jimmy olsen, August 17, 2009, 09:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

:huh: What's your point?  I never claimed to be fit.  But earlier you had specifically said I cannot lift either a scutum or a gladius, which is patently untrue, as I own both and can easily lift both. :mellow:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

This thread makes me want to re-enact Dachau.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

saskganesh

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 09:07:57 AM
I've known alot of reenactors who were either retired military or were reservists/on active duty.  One of the Roman guys I did shows with actually got deployed to Iraq in 2006 or so.

hopefully he's up on the best tactics to fight Parthians.

did he send you any pix of Ctesiphon?
humans were created in their own image

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 09:33:31 AM
:huh: What's your point?  I never claimed to be fit.  But earlier you had specifically said I cannot lift either a scutum or a gladius, which is patently untrue, as I own both and can easily lift both. :mellow:
You were put in your place.  Be a man and accept it.
PDH!

Caliga

:lol: I wasn't, though, because I never claimed I could do what Seigey was bashing me for.

PDH

Sometimes I wish Siegey would want to be a Masada zealot reenactor.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Quote from: PDH on August 19, 2009, 11:45:00 AM
Sometimes I wish Siegey would want to be a Masada zealot reenactor.
I call Eliezer Ben-Yair!  :cool:

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 09:33:31 AM

I can lift my scrotum, but it's hard work.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2009, 04:51:34 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2009, 04:45:38 PM
Everytime I think about Charles I and the ECW I always think what a comparative coward James II was.  Charles I went down with the ship and never once admitted that maybe he should compromise or be reasonable for one second.

James II sees a few Dutchmen in wooden shoes and runs away.

Someone here suggested to me that he was traumatized by his father's execution and didn't want the same to happen to him.

Maybe it was also nice just being a king, even a deposed one. The current royal family has a pretty good gig, even if they are powerless. Maybe he made the calculation that when push came to shove, political power wasn't worth risking his neck over.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 11:03:16 AM
:lol: I wasn't, though, because I never claimed I could do what Seigey was bashing me for.
Nope.  You heard it from the authority.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2009, 05:45:11 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 18, 2009, 05:36:20 PM
Why did the house of Orange not continue on the British throne?

No children.

It was best for all concerned.  The English really hated having the Dutch Stadtholder on the throne.  They felt, very correctly btw, that he was using England and Scotland to advance the interests of The Netherlands.  Plus with the Dutch and the English being fierce trade rivals it made for a tense union.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2009, 01:18:52 PM
It was best for all concerned.  The English really hated having the Dutch Stadtholder on the throne.  They felt, very correctly btw, that he was using England and Scotland to advance the interests of The Netherlands.  Plus with the Dutch and the English being fierce trade rivals it made for a tense union.

Agreed. It probably wouldn't have lasted long even if there was an heir.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.