Military enthusiasts re-enact the Vietnam War

Started by jimmy olsen, August 17, 2009, 09:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on August 18, 2009, 02:28:09 PM
Sounds something like my old "feminist issues in the law" professor ...  :unsure:
:lol:

ECWH:

:mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Can always count on Sheilbh to support the horrible side of a war. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2009, 03:59:06 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 18, 2009, 02:41:24 PM
[English] Civil War Hijack!  :w00t:

Montrose rocks. He'd whip Bedford Forrest in 15 minutes. Blindfolded.

But he'd be cynically betrayed by Charles II.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Everytime I think about Charles I and the ECW I always think what a comparative coward James II was.  Charles I went down with the ship and never once admitted that maybe he should compromise or be reasonable for one second.

James II sees a few Dutchmen in wooden shoes and runs away.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2009, 04:35:09 PM
Can always count on Sheilbh to support the horrible side of a war. <_<
Horrible but right, yes :)

Incidentally, after my forthcoming French Revolution binge, I'm going to buy this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Noble-Revolt-Overthrow-Charles/dp/0297842625
:mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 18, 2009, 04:47:55 PM
Horrible but right, yes :)

No, sir, you are mistaken.

I've working my way through that God's Fury, England's Fire book.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2009, 04:45:38 PM
Everytime I think about Charles I and the ECW I always think what a comparative coward James II was.  Charles I went down with the ship and never once admitted that maybe he should compromise or be reasonable for one second.

James II sees a few Dutchmen in wooden shoes and runs away.

Someone here suggested to me that he was traumatized by his father's execution and didn't want the same to happen to him.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2009, 04:49:32 PM
I've working my way through that God's Fury, England's Fire book.
I've seen that around and thought of buying it.  Let me know how it is.
Let's bomb Russia!

saskganesh

then maybe James should have compromised with Parliament in the years before the Dutch invasion.

so he's an either an idiot or a coward or both.

he also later fled Ireland. the Irish called him Seamus Chaca or "James the be-shitten"
humans were created in their own image

garbon

Josquius

I have to ask -why?

Vietnam really doesn't seem to be a war that lends itself well to reinactment...It doesn't even lend itself well to war movies in the conventional sense- all good 'Nam films are about the characters and small bunches of people being lost in the jungle and that sort of thing
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Why did the house of Orange not continue on the British throne?

garbon

Siege

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 17, 2009, 09:32:24 PM

Ryan Rentschler, 25, of New London, Pa., helps organize a Vietnam event at Fort Mifflin in Philadelphia, including a USO-type tribute show with a Christmas 1969 theme.

Rentschler grew up listening to stories told by his father, who served during the war in the Air Force, as well as several teachers who were Vietnam vets.

"Vietnam is a whole different animal," Rentschler wrote in an e-mail. "We don't do this to shoot a lot or play army. We do this to honor vets who didn't get the welcome home they deserved."

Why doesn't he joins the REAL army and do something with his life?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on August 18, 2009, 05:24:56 PM
I have to ask -why?

Vietnam really doesn't seem to be a war that lends itself well to reinactment...It doesn't even lend itself well to war movies in the conventional sense- all good 'Nam films are about the characters and small bunches of people being lost in the jungle and that sort of thing

I dunno, I think the small skirmishes could be just as much fun to reenact as the massive battles, and a lot easier to put together.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?