Military enthusiasts re-enact the Vietnam War

Started by jimmy olsen, August 17, 2009, 09:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2009, 05:07:06 PM
Compromised with popular rabble? :x

who included the urban, commercial, majority. the middle class people who had the real power.

I'll put you down with "stupid." *makes list*

humans were created in their own image

garbon

Quote from: saskganesh on August 18, 2009, 09:59:32 PM
who included the urban, commercial, majority. the middle class people who had the real power.

aka the last thing that a monarch in an absolutist vein would want to do. K.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

saskganesh

Quote from: Siege on August 18, 2009, 09:25:23 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 17, 2009, 09:32:24 PM

Ryan Rentschler, 25, of New London, Pa., helps organize a Vietnam event at Fort Mifflin in Philadelphia, including a USO-type tribute show with a Christmas 1969 theme.

Rentschler grew up listening to stories told by his father, who served during the war in the Air Force, as well as several teachers who were Vietnam vets.

"Vietnam is a whole different animal," Rentschler wrote in an e-mail. "We don't do this to shoot a lot or play army. We do this to honor vets who didn't get the welcome home they deserved."

Why doesn't he joins the REAL army and do something with his life?

apparently he enlisted after 911 but was discharged because of injury in 2003. sometime after that, you enlisted, making up for the loss.

saskganesh

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2009, 10:01:59 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on August 18, 2009, 09:59:32 PM

aka the last thing that a monarch in an absolutist vein would want to do. K.

and this was at the point in history when Britain would absolutely not accept an absolutist. so ... he was stupid, as he did not learn from the Civil War.

garbon

Quote from: saskganesh on August 18, 2009, 10:07:53 PM
and this was at the point in history when Britain would absolutely not accept an absolutist. so ... he was stupid, as he did not learn from the Civil War.

Oh agreed. I'm not trying to suggest that he was smart. Many of the Stuarts were not.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: saskganesh on August 18, 2009, 05:05:33 PM
then maybe James should have compromised with Parliament in the years before the Dutch invasion.

so he's an either an idiot or a coward or both.

he also later fled Ireland. the Irish called him Seamus Chaca or "James the be-shitten"

I'll go with "both".

His brother clever, flexible, charismatic, and amoral; James seems to have only had the last characteristic.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege

Quote from: saskganesh on August 18, 2009, 10:05:45 PM
Quote from: Siege on August 18, 2009, 09:25:23 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 17, 2009, 09:32:24 PM

Ryan Rentschler, 25, of New London, Pa., helps organize a Vietnam event at Fort Mifflin in Philadelphia, including a USO-type tribute show with a Christmas 1969 theme.

Rentschler grew up listening to stories told by his father, who served during the war in the Air Force, as well as several teachers who were Vietnam vets.

"Vietnam is a whole different animal," Rentschler wrote in an e-mail. "We don't do this to shoot a lot or play army. We do this to honor vets who didn't get the welcome home they deserved."

Why doesn't he joins the REAL army and do something with his life?

apparently he enlisted after 911 but was discharged because of injury in 2003. sometime after that, you enlisted, making up for the loss.

Medical discharge?
What kind of injury?
Every pussy that wants to quit claim injury, to get an honourable discharge.
On the other hand, I have known quite a few tough mothefuckers, that have had some pretty serious injuries, have gone through a shitload of surgeries, and are still in the army, fighting the good fight. They cannot be in recon, but there are many other things they can do. The point is, the army have a job for everyone. The army is not gonna enlist a cripple, but if you are in active duty, and get injured, the army will acomodate you, even if you have to re-class to a new MOS and become a paper-pusher.

So that story about an injury he can tell it to somebody that doesn't know how the system works.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Caliga

I've known alot of reenactors who were either retired military or were reservists/on active duty.  One of the Roman guys I did shows with actually got deployed to Iraq in 2006 or so.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 09:07:57 AM
I've known alot of reenactors who were either retired military or were reservists/on active duty.  One of the Roman guys I did shows with actually got deployed to Iraq in 2006 or so.

Was he the one who organized the gladitorial games featuring Islamicists?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege

Yeah, but we are talking here of a 25 yo, at the peak of his physical power, not some old fat bastard that like big tits and gas station food, and can barely lift a gladious, let alone the scutum.

Siege

Quote from: Malthus on August 19, 2009, 09:10:13 AM

Was he the one who organized the gladitorial games featuring Islamicists?  :P

Now that would be awesome.

We had the light version of it, by throwing candy at the smallest kid in the gang chasing our strykers through town, and watching how the older kids beat the shit out of him. One of those little packs of M&M can do wonders.

Caliga

Caliga

Quote from: Siege on August 19, 2009, 09:12:44 AM
Yeah, but we are talking here of a 25 yo, at the peak of his physical power, not some old fat bastard that like big tits and gas station food, and can barely lift a gladious, let alone the scutum.
Just cause I'm fat doesn't mean I'm weak. <_<

Malthus

Siege

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 09:21:32 AM
Quote from: Siege on August 19, 2009, 09:12:44 AM
Just cause I'm fat doesn't mean I'm weak. <_<

Really? Lets put you in a full legionary uniform, lorica segmentata, helmet, 2 pila, etc, and lets see if you can walk 12 miles in 3 hours, at a 15min mile pace.

You can be the strongest man in the world. If you are phat, you are not going to be able to keep up with the fit guys. And a unit is as slow as its slowest element, meaning YOU. By the time your cohorte gets to the fight, the barbarians already won and are running away with your legion's banner/eagle/whatever.