News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Military enthusiasts re-enact the Vietnam War

Started by jimmy olsen, August 17, 2009, 09:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2009, 09:33:31 AM
:huh: What's your point?  I never claimed to be fit.  But earlier you had specifically said I cannot lift either a scutum or a gladius, which is patently untrue, as I own both and can easily lift both. :mellow:

Shamer, you said "Just cause I'm fat doesn't mean I'm weak." I said if you are fat, you are weak.
Profesional soldiers fight as a unit. If you can't keep up with your unit, your unit will slow down to keep up with you. That's the way it is. Nobody gets left behind. Now, you may argue that your reenactment unit are a bunch of fat old guys. In that case, then your entire unit is weak, and whatever is the parent unit, will have to slow down to your operational pace.

So, you can lift your gladius. Ok, lets see if you can lift it after an standard 12 miles forced march. And then, lets see if you can FIGHT with it.

Look Cal, if you were a serious reenactor, you would get in shape, and get your shiny gear all dirty and muddy after force marching a minimum of 12 miles to form up the battle line of maniples. Then stand there in full gear for hours. Then burn a zillion calories hacking with your gladius, then run at least 4 miles chasing the routing enemy. And then, build a damn fort to expend the night. Every night.

I don't want to discourage you in your reenactment. I think is very cool. Just remember that war is hard work, and if you want to be great at what you do, you have to go the whole nine yards.

And it all starts by being in shape.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Siege on August 19, 2009, 03:12:25 PM
:huh: What's your point?  I never claimed to be fit.  But earlier you had specifically said I cannot lift either a scutum or a gladius, which is patently untrue, as I own both and can easily lift both. :mellow:

Shamer, you said "Just cause I'm fat doesn't mean I'm weak." I said if you are fat, you are weak.
Profesional soldiers fight as a unit. If you can't keep up with your unit, your unit will slow down to keep up with you. That's the way it is. Nobody gets left behind. Now, you may argue that your reenactment unit are a bunch of fat old guys. In that case, then your entire unit is weak, and whatever is the parent unit, will have to slow down to your operational pace.

So, you can lift your gladius. Ok, lets see if you can lift it after an standard 12 miles forced march. And then, lets see if you can FIGHT with it.

Look Cal, if you were a serious reenactor, you would get in shape, and get your shiny gear all dirty and muddy after force marching a minimum of 12 miles to form up the battle line of maniples. Then stand there in full gear for hours. Then burn a zillion calories hacking with your gladius, then run at least 4 miles chasing the routing enemy. And then, build a damn fort to expend the night. Every night.

I don't want to discourage you in your reenactment. I think is very cool. Just remember that war is hard work, and if you want to be great at what you do, you have to go the whole nine yards.

Cal got Army Strong! served!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Snap!
PDH!

Ed Anger

I still can't see the pwnage or the servage.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Cal's an army of one! :wub:

Also, I'd prefer to be build a blessed fort.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 19, 2009, 03:26:54 PM

Nobody is owning or serving anybody.

Unless you refer to my balls left hanging outside your smelly monkey butt.

Siege

Ed Anger

Quote from: Siege on August 19, 2009, 03:35:17 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 19, 2009, 03:26:54 PM

Nobody is owning or serving anybody.

Unless you refer to my balls left hanging outside your smelly monkey butt.

:yawn:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

:lol:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

Cal proved he could lift his shield in the movie 300, damn Leonidas did not let him fight because "he could not lift it high enough".  :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 19, 2009, 03:51:55 PM
Cal proved he could lift his shield in the movie 300, damn Leonidas did not let him fight because "he could not lift it high enough".  :(

:o

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

BTW, siege has proven once again he is a special and unike snowflake. What a character huh?

unike for unique! lol, I can't spell for shit! stupid spic.  :Embarrass:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 19, 2009, 03:59:15 PM
BTW, siege has proven once again he is a special and unike snowflake. What a character huh?

unike for unique! lol, I can't spell for shit! stupid spic.  :Embarrass:

You know what you must do.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

I think my old unit needs Archery Centurion Hartman Iudaeus added to it, played by you.

I should also mention that the guy who ran the unit was old and pretty out of shape, but was a retired lifer in the Army (and had been a drill sgt. for at least part of his time in the service).  Alot of the other guys were in good shape including a few who were jacked.  In fact, here's a pic so you can see for yourself:

I know it's hard to tell from the pic but do most of those guys look "old and fat" to you?

Also, just one more item in my defense: I marched in several parades that had five mile routes.  I think Wags and Timmy came to one we did in Worcester.

I can't and won't dispute that I'm outta shape and it would be more realistic if I wasn't, but it's not going to stop me from doing something I really like to do.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points