15 (31.3%)
Nay
28 (58.3%)
I don't drink wine as I've the sophistication of a neanderthal
5 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 14, 2009, 06:05:59 AM
I'm told at the Wine Society that its best served at cellar temp. around 65 degrees or so.

Cellar temp should be more like 55.

Just below room temp is a good service temp.

The cooler the wine is served, the sharper the tannins will be.  Which is why Beaujolais (which lacks any significant tannin) is often served somewhat chilled.  Try that with a big Syrah or Cab and the results will not be as good.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

charliebear

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 13, 2009, 11:21:37 PM
If it's hot then yes.

Agreed.  If it's really hot outside, I may even drop an ice cube in my red wine. 

I'm old.  I can do what I want.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2009, 11:10:55 PM
I realize that some might look aghast at this question, but I had to ask. :blush:
Yeah.
30min to one hr before serving in summer.
I don't like wine when it's warm, and my cave is not cool enough.
I don't always check the temp, but it's usually 15-16C when I drink it.  Perfect.
White wine is 12C and below.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Scipio

Yes.

Especially in the summer.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 14, 2009, 09:12:58 AM
Cellar temp should be more like 55.

Just below room temp is a good service temp.

The cooler the wine is served, the sharper the tannins will be.  Which is why Beaujolais (which lacks any significant tannin) is often served somewhat chilled.  Try that with a big Syrah or Cab and the results will not be as good.

Thanks, Joan. I think it was you who told me that I'd end up drinking red wine. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2009, 11:41:54 AM
Thanks, Joan. I think it was you who told me that I'd end up drinking red wine. :blush:

You are a young gay upwardly mobile San Franciscan - it was hardly a bold prediction.  :D
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

I'm now telling you that you will end up owning a Papillon.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 14, 2009, 12:28:00 PM
You are a young gay upwardly mobile San Franciscan - it was hardly a bold prediction.  :D

:Embarrass:

Although to be sure, in SF, cocktails and whites are what are generally proffered.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on August 14, 2009, 12:30:10 PM
I'm now telling you that you will end up owning a Papillon.

Now that's just horrible and rude.  A friend has one and she's always like "Isn't he so cute in this photo?" while I just have to smile awkwardly as I'm reluctant to lie.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2009, 12:32:21 PMNow that's just horrible and rude.  A friend has one and she's always like "Isn't he so cute in this photo?" while I just have to smile awkwardly as I'm reluctant to lie.
Well, you're still a young man and your gayness has yet to fully develop. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on August 14, 2009, 12:36:13 PM
Well, you're still a young man and your gayness has yet to fully develop. :)

The gay couple in my building have a boxer.

I'm in the "one of these things does not belong" Pug-French Bulldog-Boston Terrier-Siberian Husky axis.

Duque de Bragança

No other way to drink plonk than putting it in the fridge  ;)
If you are inclined to drink plonk of course...

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 14, 2009, 04:22:41 PM
Neanderthal.

Jello shot boy calling people Neanderthals. I've seen it all now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Slargos

I just mix it with cold coke.

No need to chill it then.