If you were Kamala Harris, who would you choose to be your VP

Started by jimmy olsen, July 23, 2024, 08:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you were Kamala Harris, who would you choose to be your VP?

Mark Kelly - Senator from Arizona
10 (38.5%)
Josh Shapiro - Governor of Pennsylvania
4 (15.4%)
Roy Cooper - Governor of North Carolina
1 (3.8%)
Andy Beshear - Governor of Kentucky
5 (19.2%)
Pete Buttigieg - Secretary of Transportation
1 (3.8%)
JB Pritzker - Governor of Illinois
1 (3.8%)
Gretchen Whitmer - Governor of Michigan
3 (11.5%)
Other - List who and why
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

jimmy olsen

Mark Kelly - Senator from Arizona

+Astronaut
+Combat Vet
+From a swing state
+Wife is the victim of political gun violence to compare and contrast against Trump's assassination attempt

-Bald?
-Has a twin (which one is evil?)

Josh Shapiro - Governor of Pennsylvania

+From the most important swing state in the election
+Popular
+He's 51

-May be confused for someone buying a single plank of wood
-I have seen that online leftists aren't thrilled with his stance on I/P but I don't know enough about it
-Lose a popular governor from an important swing state

Roy Cooper - Governor of North Carolina

+North Carolina might be possible for Dems

-He's 67. Still younger than Trump but not exactly youthful
-His Lt. Gov is a fascist who may do crazy things while he campaigns out of state.

Andy Beshear - Governor of Kentucky

+He won two gubernatorial races in a very red state
+Young, 46

-Kentucky is not a swing state
-Would lose the dem governor of a red state

Pete Buttigieg - Secretary of Transportation

+Young, 42
+Well liked in the party
+Mandatory refunds if your flight gets canceled

-He's gay. Shouldn't matter, but it does.
-Couple of big fuckups during his time in Biden's cabinet, like East Palestine.
-Doesn't bring much strategically

JB Pritzker - Governor of Illinois

+Very popular governor of a big state
+Progressives love him
+Billionaire

-Illinois is not a swing state
-Billionaire

Gretchen Whitmer - Governor of Michigan

+Popular governor of a swing state
+Rising star of the Democratic party

-It would be 2 women on the ticket. Shouldn't matter, but it does.
-Would lose a popular governor
-Doesn't want to be VP

And many, many more possibilities.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

Gretchen Whitmer; we haven't had a vice president that spoke without an accent since the end of the Nixon era so I think we're due.   :)

;)

Edit:  Also the VP debate would be the legendary rivalry: Michigan vs. Ohio.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tamas

Thanks Tim I was wondering about the options and what they bring.

Based on what you wrote it should be Mark Kelly, no contest. Sadly in no small part because of his tragic link to political violence.

Norgy

Kelly or Buttigieg.

To be honest, I would like to see her doing some actually uniting the USA by picking a dissenting Republican.
I have no idea who that would be, an all-female ticket with Haley would probably not win much support.

garbon

Quote from: Norgy on July 23, 2024, 09:05:21 AMKelly or Buttigieg.

To be honest, I would like to see her doing some actually uniting the USA by picking a dissenting Republican.
I have no idea who that would be, an all-female ticket with Haley would probably not win much support.

I think that would be terrible as I don't think anyone would be in favour of a unity government. You've just lost both sides.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2024, 09:08:51 AM

I think that would be terrible as I don't think anyone would be in favour of a unity government. You've just lost both sides.

I'm really starting think that euros (god bless 'em) have trouble with the two party system.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Wait, no Jaron option?

If I approach this strategy-gamey-like, I guess it should be one of the popular politicians in swing states. Cooper or Kelly. I'm willing to gamble on PA staying blue.

Grey Fox

I wouldn't take a Governor from any state. Of the choices, Kelly.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Norgy

Quote from: HVC on July 23, 2024, 09:18:31 AM

I'm really starting think that euros (god bless 'em) have trouble with the two party system.

Depends on who you ask. I think the continent has shown that we are more adept at division than most with, well, a few world wars and whatnot.

I understand the two-party system. Quite well, actually. Which is why it might not be such a terrible idea to try and close some gaps.
That being said, I accept that realities here and now would preclude that from happening. I am, thankfully, not as stupid as I look.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Norgy on July 23, 2024, 10:04:40 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 23, 2024, 09:18:31 AM

Depends on who you ask. I think the continent has shown that we are more adept at division than most with, well, a few world wars and whatnot.

I understand the two-party system. Quite well, actually. Which is why it might not be such a terrible idea to try and close some gaps.
That being said, I accept that realities here and now would preclude that from happening. I am, thankfully, not as stupid as I look.

But do your 'realities' consider that it isn't what voters want? Like I have no desire to have a Republican of any stripe as VP. If they had done the decent thing they wouldn't still be a Republican, they'd be at a push an independent.

I honestly can't think of any benefit such a ticket would bring either during election cycle or during governance in the US.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I still like Cooper but it would sure be nice if it was a Midwesterner.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Notwithstanding the comments above that point out how this doesn't make sense in a two party state,the obvious candidate for vice president from the GOP in your scenario is Cheney.  :P

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Mark Kelly being a Senator from Arizona is actually a negative, in my opinion.  Krysten Sinema is not running again, and her seat is barely leaning Democratic right now.  Having both Arizona Senate seats up in the same year presents a significant danger that one will flip Republican.  With Manchin's seat predicted to go Republican the Senate would be evenly split (assuming Sinema's seat goes Democratic and all other incumbent parties hold).  I think it's too big a risk to pull Kelly away from that seat and possibly hand the Republicans slim majorities in both houses of Congress.

I think Shapiro is the best choice, assuming being a Jew doesn't become a lightning rod for certain elements of the left.  Pennsylvania is must-win for the Democrats.

jimmy olsen

Kelly doesn't have to resign to run. He would only be replaced if they won, and he would be replaced by a democratic governor.

1 Karma Chameleon point