News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The AI dooooooom thread

Started by Hamilcar, April 06, 2023, 12:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

That's pretty interesting.

So FB's line is "as long as the AI images are being seen and liked by real people it's working as intended."

That's a non-trivial IF.

Certainly, it would seem there are some pretty strong incentives for generators of content to also develop LIKE and engagement accounts as they directly impact revenue.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 06, 2024, 04:14:26 PMSo I posted before about Facebook as the zombie internet - and they kept digging into the weird AI stuff on Facebook. This makes perfect sense and is kind of fascinating:
https://www.404media.co/where-facebooks-ai-slop-comes-from/
This explains so much.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Yeah - and in fairness it could well be that they are being seen and liked by real people. Lots of the AI pages spend lots of time liking each other. But it may well be people trying to earn money online in the developing world (but, from what I understand) interactions from accounts with European or North American IP addresses are more valuable. (Edit: This is, just as an aside, fucked up.)

But also what you say is true and it's true of the entire internet these platforms have built. The way they make money is online advertising and at every single level it is riddled with fraud. There is zero trust - and at least in the UK the brand safety and anti-fraud providers have even been sued themselves for not just doing what they claim but also misusing their access to sites to build their own audiences.

Generally for the last twenty years - the most valuable companies in the world, who built our world and are now building the next stage...
Let's bomb Russia!