If you were Kamala Harris, who would you choose to be your VP

Started by jimmy olsen, July 23, 2024, 08:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you were Kamala Harris, who would you choose to be your VP?

Mark Kelly - Senator from Arizona
10 (38.5%)
Josh Shapiro - Governor of Pennsylvania
4 (15.4%)
Roy Cooper - Governor of North Carolina
1 (3.8%)
Andy Beshear - Governor of Kentucky
5 (19.2%)
Pete Buttigieg - Secretary of Transportation
1 (3.8%)
JB Pritzker - Governor of Illinois
1 (3.8%)
Gretchen Whitmer - Governor of Michigan
3 (11.5%)
Other - List who and why
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Norgy

Quote from: Zanza on July 23, 2024, 11:14:34 AM
Quote from: Norgy on July 23, 2024, 09:05:21 AMKelly or Buttigieg.

To be honest, I would like to see her doing some actually uniting the USA by picking a dissenting Republican.
I have no idea who that would be, an all-female ticket with Haley would probably not win much support.

Notwithstanding the comments above that point out how this doesn't make sense in a two party state,the obvious candidate for vice president from the GOP in your scenario is Cheney.  :P

Her dad was fairly effective. When he wasn't shooting people.

Norgy

Valmy

Back in the days when moderate Republicans existed I guess, but people like Cheney and Romney are still very far right wing and too far to be considered.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Kelly, and please god no, not Beshear.  He's the only non-crazy state politician we have down here.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2024, 09:08:51 AMI think that would be terrible as I don't think anyone would be in favour of a unity government. You've just lost both sides.
I would have loved Joe Lieberman on John McCain's ticket, like McCain wanted and had to be talked out of.  I would have voted Republican in that election had we gotten that, instead of HOCKEY MAAAAAAHM which automatically lost my vote.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on July 23, 2024, 11:59:28 AMKelly, and please god no, not Beshear.  He's the only non-crazy state politician we have down here.

Yeah ok I agree with you now. And even if he was on the ticket Trump is still winning Kentucky.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Right.  It speaks to Andy's skill as a leader that he's been elected twice in a state this red.

Sophie Scholl

...Beto O'Rourke. Let's make Texas blue again!

Kind of kidding, but not? Like, Texas has gotten closer and closer every election the past 3 going from 16 point gap for Romney, 9 for Trump in 2016 and 6 for Trump in 2020. I wonder if it is close enough to the tipping point to go blue with the right veep option? I don't know if Beto the multi-time loser is a good option, but he checks some of the boxes for sure.  :hmm:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on July 23, 2024, 12:17:23 PM...Beto O'Rourke. Let's make Texas blue again!

Kind of kidding, but not? Like, Texas has gotten closer and closer every election the past 3 going from 16 point gap for Romney, 9 for Trump in 2016 and 6 for Trump in 2020. I wonder if it is close enough to the tipping point to go blue with the right veep option? I don't know if Beto the multi-time loser is a good option, but he checks some of the boxes for sure.  :hmm:

I can almost hear musk's scream were that to happen

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 23, 2024, 12:22:35 PMI can almost hear musk's scream were that to happen
A nice added bonus for sure! I wonder if him moving there might actually be a negative for Trump and the Republicans. A "coastal elite" carpetbagger coming to Texas to try to take over.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on July 23, 2024, 12:29:46 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 23, 2024, 12:22:35 PMI can almost hear musk's scream were that to happen
A nice added bonus for sure! I wonder if him moving there might actually be a negative for Trump and the Republicans. A "coastal elite" carpetbagger coming to Texas to try to take over.

My sense of it is that the people who are concerned about costal elites are already worshipping Elon.

Admiral Yi

I know nothing about these people except Booty Judge and Whitmer (that she almost got kidnapped).

Based on the photos and Timmy's helpful thumbnails I vote Kelly, Cooper, Shapiro, in order.  Kelly for the badass, Cooper for reassuring dad look.

Pritzker is right the fuck out.  Ugly doesn't get votes.

Sheilbh

I think there's research that basically says the state of VP nominations don't matter at all.

I'd probably go for Cooper. Also I'm not sure age is necessarily a bad thing here a lot of younger, ambitious Democrats have just taken a step back - so they probably don't have a shot until 2032 (and there'll be younger people behind them). Picking an old guy rather than a presumptive successor might be an idea (or a nice trade off).

Agree with VM on Kelly - sadly it feels confident to open up a swing senate state you don't need to.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I've heard Very Smart People say the veep doesn't bring upside but can bring downside.

I'm wondering if that is also true at the state level though.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2024, 02:42:16 PMI've heard Very Smart People say the veep doesn't bring upside but can bring downside.

I'm wondering if that is also true at the state level though.
I think they definitely can nationally - see Sarah Palin :lol:

But I saw it when someone shared today and I think the research was that basically VP candidates make no difference on their home state (one way or the other). The exception is if they're basically political institutions in their (small) home state - like Joe Biden or Ed Muskie.

The home state of presidential candidates do make a difference though.
Let's bomb Russia!