News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Copa América 2024

Started by FunkMonk, June 19, 2024, 05:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 09, 2024, 08:55:20 PMTbh I thought this referee hasn't been too bad. Though I do grade on a curve when it comes to concacaf/conmebol referees. There have been much worse refereeing in this very tournament.

I could be biased, but think the main issue was it wasn't equal to both sides.

But really, it's on canada. The score doesn't give the whole picture. Canada didn't embarrass themselves. They just couldn't capitalize on the chances the had. And they had a few.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on July 09, 2024, 08:50:54 PMAnyway, regardless of what happens next game Canada will at least tie Americas best showing. And on their first showing  :blurgh:  :Canuck:

Yeah well wake me when you have TWO fourth place trophies. Haha!

I have just been told there is no fourth place trophy. Well at least we both have nice participation medals.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Yeah, they only scored two goals in the 5 games and the two pre tournament friendlies. They need to score
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2024, 09:04:50 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 09, 2024, 08:50:54 PMAnyway, regardless of what happens next game Canada will at least tie Americas best showing. And on their first showing  :blurgh:  :Canuck:

Yeah well wake me when you have TWO fourth place trophies. Haha!

I have just been told there is no fourth place trophy. Well at least we both have nice participation medals.

Let me have what I can!!!  :cry:

And there's still a chance for third :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 09, 2024, 08:55:20 PMTbh I thought this referee hasn't been too bad. Though I do grade on a curve when it comes to concacaf/conmebol referees. There has been much worse refereeing in this very tournament.

I agree, the teams know going in that the refs in this geographical area are going to favour the aggressor.

Canada played well but the were playing against the World Cup Champions.  Hard to be aggressive against Argentina.

Barrister

So a couple of video clips from the game last night:

-one showed a Canadian player sliding towards and Argentine player, did not connect - yet the Argie goes down like he's been shot.

-another - the Canadian player very lightly kicks the ball at an Argie player who's down on the ground during a stoppage.  And look - I get that's a penalty.  But again the Argie starts rolling around on the ground like he's mortally wounded.

So I'm a fair-weather soccer fan, for sure.  Maybe I've been indoctrinated by my years of hockey where it's more about looking tough.  Maybe "real" soccer fans can appreciate the "gamesmanship" of all that diving.

And I'm definitely not saying that Canada was robbed last night.  Argentina was probably going to win, and they did.  For Canada, you do actually need to be able to score goals in order to win (they scored two in the entire tournament, and I think none in the World Cup).

But it can be hard to watch all that diving.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Further proof of the superiority of the Northern Protestant world over the Southern Latin World.

Jacob

BB - it's a common opinion among Europeans - especially more Northern ones - that the South America style of drama is a bunch of BS.

Admiral Yi

Any opinions on the relative floppiness of African, Asian, or Arab players?

FunkMonk

I would argue that some gamesmanship makes the sport more interesting and more entertaining to watch.

Colombia vs Uruguay just ended and it was one of the most intense and entertaining matches I've seen in years and the quality of football was kind of horrendous, but almost the entire match was embellishing fouls and deliberate timewasting  :lol:

And apparently after the game ended some of the Uruguayan players went into the stands and threw punches with Colombian fans  :lol:

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Canada v Uruguay it is

:Canuck: v :outback:

HVC

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 10, 2024, 09:18:13 PMAnd apparently after the game ended some of the Uruguayan players went into the stands and threw punches with Colombian fans  :lol:

Some Cantona admirers ? :D

celedhring

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 10, 2024, 09:18:13 PMI would argue that some gamesmanship makes the sport more interesting and more entertaining to watch.

Colombia vs Uruguay just ended and it was one of the most intense and entertaining matches I've seen in years and the quality of football was kind of horrendous, but almost the entire match was embellishing fouls and deliberate timewasting  :lol:

And apparently after the game ended some of the Uruguayan players went into the stands and threw punches with Colombian fans  :lol:

Yeah, it's infuriating in a weirdly fun way. Not as much if you actually have skin in the game :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on July 11, 2024, 01:49:22 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on July 10, 2024, 09:18:13 PMI would argue that some gamesmanship makes the sport more interesting and more entertaining to watch.

Yeah, it's infuriating in a weirdly fun way. Not as much if you actually have skin in the game :lol:

So the game in itself was still way inferior to the (in)famous Battle of Nuremberg?  :P
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nuremberg_(2006_FIFA_World_Cup)

Duque de Bragança