And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on June 27, 2024, 06:01:41 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 27, 2024, 03:47:16 AM
Quote from: Josephus on June 26, 2024, 06:35:20 PMThanks. I've seen most of Clone Wars, so I'll skip that. Gonna start Andor then Mandalorian.  I've seen all the movies except Solo

Surprisingly even to myself, I'll say I'd start with the first two seasons of the Mandalorian. Andor is most excellent but it is an experiment to use the Star Wars world for something not that Star Wars-y. The Mandalorian is lighter entertainment.

Yeah, three episodes into Andor, I find there's nothing particularly Star Wars-y; and could be set anywhere. Will finish it though.

That's mainly why I recommended that you start there.  It's excellent and you don't have to know a  lot of Star Wars lore to understand what's going on.

The Mandalorian is very good at least in the first two seasons.  The need for knowing the background story increases.

Everything else goes downhill and relies heavily on you knowing a lot of Star Wars lore in order to be able to enjoy the shows.

After you watch Mandalorian, I would suggest either going to Bad Batch or Rebels.

After that, well, watch at your own risk.

Josephus

Thanks.
I'm familiar with Star Wars lore in as much as I've seen 10 movies and Clone Wars. I'll watch Andor and then head straight into Mandalorian. then we will see.

Maybe Bad Batch since both you and BB recommend it, and it's rare you agree on anything. ;-)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on June 27, 2024, 10:48:39 AMThanks.
I'm familiar with Star Wars lore in as much as I've seen 10 movies and Clone Wars. I'll watch Andor and then head straight into Mandalorian. then we will see.

Maybe Bad Batch since both you and BB recommend it, and it's rare you agree on anything. ;-)

Again for Bad Batch - similar to Clone Wars (and Star Wars more generally) it's kid-friendly, even if not made only for kids.  There's a kid character who can be annoying - but much like if you watched Ahsoka Tano in Clone Wars the character grows.  It fleshes out the immediate transition from after Order 66 from Republic to Empire which was interesting.  It' no accident it was created by Dave Filoni who created Clone Wars and in many ways just acts as a sequel to that show, albeit with new protagonists.

I'm certainly not saying it's my favourite TV show of the last number of years - but it (along with Mando's first two seasons) is amongst the best of Star Wars tv shows of the last few years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

All this Star Wars talk got me in the mood for the prequels. Watching the first one now... man I forgot how bad the CGI was :lol: some parts are fine. And then you look at the fields or the "hovering" tanks and... ugh
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

You talking about the first three movies? Meh, I grew up with those.  Love em
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on June 27, 2024, 06:15:53 PMYou talking about the first three movies? Meh, I grew up with those.  Love em

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on June 27, 2024, 06:15:53 PMYou talking about the first three movies? Meh, I grew up with those.  Love em

First of the prequels, The Phantom Menace :) . As for the originals I know they've gotten a lot of edits of the years buts it's mostly practical effects.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: HVC on June 27, 2024, 05:55:08 PMAll this Star Wars talk got me in the mood for the prequels. Watching the first one now... man I forgot how bad the CGI was :lol: some parts are fine. And then you look at the fields or the "hovering" tanks and... ugh

I rewatched Phantom Menace the other day. It's a fun kids adventure movie tbh. And yeah, the CGI for chunks of it (esp. The Gungans v Battle Droids battle) did not age gracefully. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.