News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Copa América 2024

Started by FunkMonk, June 19, 2024, 05:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 03, 2024, 12:20:43 PMWe can't win at American Football either  :Embarrass:

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/austria-defeats-team-usa-to-become-first-european-nation-to-win-world-juniors-medal/

We now have to call it Austrian Football  :(

You might have to call it Canadian Football. :secret:

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2024/07/01/canada-wins-u20-football-championship/

For the record - this U20 championship was being held in Edmonton, but was played using the inferior 4-down rules.  Apparently the field being set up for 4-down football looked comically small at Commonwealth Stadium, which is set up for 3-down ball.

Austria beat the US in the bronze medal game.  US lost to Japan (?!?) in the semi-finals.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

So Canada plays Venezuela in the quarter-finals tonight.

Venezuela might be in South America, but is not really a soccer powerhouse, so shockingly the betting odds are pretty much a draw between the two countries.  It is not impossible to imagine Canada winning this game. :o

Now - the winner of this game moves into the semi-finals against Argentina, so that's realistically the furthest I can see Canada go - but still what an accomplishment (in particular since both US and Mexico are out).

Although who knows - dare to dream... Greece won the 2004 Euros, Iceland made it to the Quarter-finals in 2016 Euro - who knows what might happen if we get lucky...

FunkMonk

Would love to see Canada knock out Argentina on penalties. Won't happen but it would be very cool.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 05, 2024, 02:49:22 PMWould love to see Canada knock out Argentina on penalties. Won't happen but it would be very cool.

It would be super cool.  Also extremely unlikely.

Sad thing is even if it happened most Canadians wouldn't even know it happened.

Grey Fox

It would be cool but it is still only Copa America. Like the Gold cup, it doesn't matter.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Grey Fox

Not if the same old CONCACAF refs have given pointers to the CONMEBOL refs.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 05, 2024, 09:35:13 PMNot if the same old CONCACAF refs have given pointers to the CONMEBOL refs.
perhaps you're right lol.

HVC

One of my teams lost on penalties, and the other one won on penalties.

FunkMonk

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Jesse Marsch taking Canada to the semifinals of the Copa. The idiots running the US Soccer Federation are totally and completely in the mud.  :lol: