News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Copa América 2024

Started by FunkMonk, June 19, 2024, 05:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on July 09, 2024, 06:31:55 AMSuper Bowl is more hyped that's why.

:secret:  I wasn't really arguing that 4-down football is better because it's more popular, I was just carrying on the pretend-feud with BB on the topic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on July 07, 2024, 10:33:22 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2024, 04:04:33 PMp.s. Three downs are better than four downs.

That explains why 4 million Canadians watched the last Grey Cup and only 19 million watched the Super Bowl.  :lol:

More popular doesn't mean better.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2024, 10:43:26 AM
Quote from: grumbler on July 07, 2024, 10:33:22 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 06, 2024, 04:04:33 PMp.s. Three downs are better than four downs.

That explains why 4 million Canadians watched the last Grey Cup and only 19 million watched the Super Bowl.  :lol:

More popular doesn't mean better.

Correct.  But it does mean that for whatever reason people may have, they prefer the NFL.  And since the CFL needs to generate revenue outside the prairie provinces, that poses a bit of a problem for the league.

FunkMonk

Well fellas, can Canada do it tonight? Can they win the Superbowl?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

It's soccer, so you never know. Stranger things have happened.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on July 09, 2024, 05:23:25 PMIt's soccer, so you never know. Stranger things have happened.

That's pretty much the mindset.  Canada is playing with house money.  The betting odds of a Canada win are 11-1.  I also bet you anything the game in New Jersey is going to be all Argentina fans.

But there's always a chance.

Edit: plus - they've already played once before.  Canada has tape on Argentina, knows what to expect.  Maybe they can make adjustments and catch the Argies y surprise. 

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't bet $300k on Canada like Drake just did - but miracles can always happen, right?

HVC

Canada's not playing badly.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on July 09, 2024, 07:17:30 PMCanada's not playing badly.

No - but down 1-0 at the half.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2024, 08:03:05 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 09, 2024, 07:17:30 PMCanada's not playing badly.

No - but down 1-0 at the half.

They've had chances, but no finishes. My kingdom for a striker.

HVC

HVC

This ref sucks. Even by copa standards.

Barrister

I was going to ask - I'm not a soccer guy as you know, but the reffing seems kind of bad.

But what do I know.

But maybe it's a South American thing?

HVC

Haven't seen many South American games, I must admit. They seem more lax, which fine, but be equally lax to both sides.

HVC

Anyway, regardless of what happens next game Canada will at least tie Americas best showing. And on their first showing  :blurgh:  :Canuck:

FunkMonk

Tbh I thought this referee hasn't been too bad. Though I do grade on a curve when it comes to concacaf/conmebol referees. There has been much worse refereeing in this very tournament.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.