News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Copa América 2024

Started by FunkMonk, June 19, 2024, 05:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I'm seeing this reported elsewhere too. Definitely seems to add up. If true hopefully he doesn't face punishment as thats totally forgivable. Should be serious punishment for the organisers (and the offending fans).
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Tbh I watch the sport now not so much for the beauty of it or the quality of individual technique or to analyze brilliant tactical innovations. I've done that. It's great. 

I watch for the sheer crazy theater of it all. I want the drama. The diving, the indignation, the flare ups and physical altercations, the moaning and embellishment, hell even the referee fuck ups. It's more World Wrestling Entertainment and less actual sport. It's gladiatoral combat and I'm part of the crowd beying for blood. That is fun for me and a nice distraction from hum drum regular life going to work every day and raising two little kids. It's a release.

So yeah diving is not really in the spirit of the rules and I fucking hate it when it goes against my team but I absolutely love it when my team does it and gets away with it :lol:

But I grew up playing soccer in South Texas with Mexicans so that probably colors my idea of what the game means to me. Obviously people have different experiences and expectations of what the game should be.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

I  get that. I like the physicality of this years Copa America because I approach all sports with the mentality & aesthetics of hockey. I expect roughness, I want roughness.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 11, 2024, 09:33:35 AMI  get that. I like the physicality of this years Copa America because I approach all sports with the mentality & aesthetics of hockey. I expect roughness, I want roughness.

Do you want cheap shots?

Grey Fox

In hockey, not really but we would have to define what is a cheap shot.

I do not know what would qualify as a cheap shot in soccer.

Josquius

I definitely do miss football of the 90s/00s where tough guy players were an established part of the game.
Less professional arse holes like Vinnie Jones and more don't fuck with me Roy Keane types and defenders who tackled hard.
Though the decline of this sort of tough guy macho attitude has been great outside of football, and certainly needs to die more, the game itself certainly has gotten "soft" to an extent and less fun with it  - though yes, some horrid examples on record of career ending tackles.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 11, 2024, 04:24:09 PMIn hockey, not really but we would have to define what is a cheap shot.

Take a look at my clip on page 4.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2024, 04:47:27 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 11, 2024, 04:24:09 PMIn hockey, not really but we would have to define what is a cheap shot.

Take a look at my clip on page 4.

Can't, not available here.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 10, 2024, 04:39:36 PMAny opinions on the relative floppiness of African, Asian, or Arab players?

Weird... I thought I answered this already, but...

There may be less on a consensus there than on South Americans, but my opinion is:

Africans are "robust." They dish out closer to South Americans levels but flop* much less.

Asians I don't have a strong stereotype of, but generally I think they work hard, don't play dirty, and don't flop.

Arabs I don't know enough to really have formed an opinion.

*we called it filming when I was growing up.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on July 11, 2024, 07:14:30 PMWeird... I thought I answered this already, but...

I'm old.  Pretty sure 90% of the things I post here are repeats.

HVC

Canadas second line is better than Uruguays. Still have trouble finishing though
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

HVC

The damn biter tied it.

HVC

4th place it is. Still a good showing.