News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 11, 2024, 10:57:48 AMThere's always something special about non-Jews calling Jews antisemitic.

As Krusty the Clown said:

"My whole life I thought I was a self-loathing Jew. But it turns out I am just another antisemite."
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ciV2nU04oo

Duke students walk out on commencement speaker Jerry Seinfeld.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2024, 09:18:12 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ciV2nU04oo

Well that could have gone worse all things considered.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Did he make a "what's the deal with" joke about it?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on May 12, 2024, 10:23:31 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2024, 09:18:12 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ciV2nU04oo

Are we drawing the success line at "the Jew didn't get lynched" now?

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on May 13, 2024, 03:21:23 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 12, 2024, 10:23:31 PM

Are we drawing the success line at "the Jew didn't get lynched" now?

That feels wild reaction to what Politico said was about 30 students walking out.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Wild but not entirely serious.

Josquius

Has Seinfeld said something about the Israel situation or is it just "OMFG a Jew! That means Israel!" at play here?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on May 13, 2024, 04:52:49 AMHas Seinfeld said something about the Israel situation or is it just "OMFG a Jew! That means Israel!" at play here?

I'm not sure either way, but he has said things about identity politics so it's conceivable.

Admiral Yi

He visited Israel 4 months ago.

An interview about the trip.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2024, 10:12:38 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2024, 08:29:20 AMThe Hamas charter talks about Jews living peacefully in an Islamic Palestine, so the genocide talk is overblown.  The plight of Jews in an Islamic Palestine would not be pleasant given that Hamas thinks that the arrivals since 1948 should be expelled and their land returned to Palestinians, but that's a far cry from genocide.

Just ethnic cleansing.

Exactly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on May 11, 2024, 10:41:33 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2024, 08:29:20 AMThe Hamas charter talks about Jews living peacefully in an Islamic Palestine, so the genocide talk is overblown.  The plight of Jews in an Islamic Palestine would not be pleasant given that Hamas thinks that the arrivals since 1948 should be expelled and their land returned to Palestinians, but that's a far cry from genocide.

Sarcasm?

Knowledge.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2024, 08:29:20 AMThe Hamas charter talks about Jews living peacefully in an Islamic Palestine, so the genocide talk is overblown.

The Soviet constitution talked about guarantees of full civil liberties and rights, so talk about Stalinist oppression is overblown.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

To be fair, the Soviet constitution guaranteed you freedom of speech, but it didn't guarantee you freedom from consequences of speech.

The Minsky Moment

From the original Hamas Covenant

QuoteIsrael will exist and will continue to exist until Islam will obliterate it, just as it obliterated others before it" (The Martyr, Imam Hassan al-Banna, of blessed memory).

QuoteThis Covenant of the Islamic Resistance Movement (HAMAS), clarifies its picture, reveals its identity, outlines its stand, explains its aims, speaks about its hopes, and calls for its support, adoption and joining its ranks. Our struggle against the Jews is very great and very serious.

Quotethe Islamic Resistance Movement aspires to the realisation of Allah's promise, no matter how long that should take. The Prophet, Allah bless him and grant him salvation, has said:

"The Day of Judgement will not come about until Moslems fight the Jews (killing the Jews), when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Moslems, O Abdulla, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree, (evidently a certain kind of tree) would not do that because it is one of the trees of the Jews." (related by al-Bukhari and Moslem).

Much of the antisemitic language of the Covenant was not included in a much later Declaration of Principles; however, to my knowledge the original Covenant has never been revoked or repudiated.  That requires judgment as to whether the later declaration represents a sincere change in belief, or was merely political rhetoric intended to secure more mainstream Arab financial support.  I never believed there was much doubt on that point, but if any doubt existed, October 7 firmly resolved it.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson