News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 31, 2024, 05:50:31 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 31, 2024, 04:54:33 PMThey've learned that people watch it. They don't care if it hurts or helps as long as rating stay up.
Fine - but don't pontificate about the role of the media in the age of Trump or how "democracy dies in darkness".

Despite your love of them, journalists aren't above hypocrisy :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

I'm getting ads asking me to remind my American expat friends about voting in the election, which I find quite peculiar. Are other euros getting those, too?

Oexmelin

Not a Euro, but I got those too in Canada, and even yesterday on the airport screens so clearly there is a concerted campaign going on.

Seemed to come from them:
https://www.votefromabroad.org/?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAA-J5PiTAVvphexQAFuls_NrIczj_Z&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9_qm-rKkiAMV0GpHAR33BDZSEAAYASAAEgKgjvD_BwE
Que le grand cric me croque !

Norgy

Quote from: celedhring on September 02, 2024, 08:35:42 AMI'm getting ads asking me to remind my American expat friends about voting in the election, which I find quite peculiar. Are other euros getting those, too?

On Facebook, yes.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 31, 2024, 05:50:31 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 31, 2024, 04:54:33 PMThey've learned that people watch it. They don't care if it hurts or helps as long as rating stay up.
Fine - but don't pontificate about the role of the media in the age of Trump or how "democracy dies in darkness".

That's marketing. Nothing about how the WaPo or NYT is ran suggests a genuine concern for the health of American democracy, they are virtue signaling to their expected liberal reader base to juice up subscriptions.

Admiral Yi

I see a connection between accurate information and democracy.

Admiral Yi

Huge surge in new voter registration among certain demographics one week in July.

PJL

Looks like the guy who predicted a Trump win in 2016 is saying Harris will win in 2024:

Valmy

Well as much credibility as that one guy has...I am still very concerned.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PJL

Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2024, 03:38:37 PMWell as much credibility as that one guy has...I am still very concerned.

Good - the more Democrat voters think that way, the more likely Harris will win. Complacency that Clinton would win was a key factor in Trump winning in 2016.

viper37

JD Vance talking about the price of freedom.
School shootings are just a fact of life for Americans.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Good thing no one could ever shot him from behind.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on September 06, 2024, 12:58:59 AMGood thing no one could ever shot him from behind.

Those plastic panels are only designed to stop the rotten tomatoes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Apparently insisting assault rifles aren't a real thing is the NRA sanctioned narrative to push against anyone suggesting maybe bringing back some sensible laws would be a good idea.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on September 06, 2024, 07:05:09 AMApparently insisting assault rifles aren't a real thing is the NRA sanctioned narrative to push against anyone suggesting maybe bringing back some sensible laws would be a good idea.
They really aren't anymore.

The lines have been blurred.  Both by manufacturers and various government policies and judgments.

I think the Canadian example proves that trying to legislate "what" is an assault rifle and "what" is a hunting rifle is very complicated, and would be even more so in the US with all the mods that can circulate legally.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.