News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2024, 01:59:57 PMA lot of anti-anti-Trump types try to boil down opposition to Trump as "well you don't like his mean tweets".

Or, you know, he was well known as a fraud and a conman for years before twitter even existed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2024, 05:49:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2024, 01:59:57 PMA lot of anti-anti-Trump types try to boil down opposition to Trump as "well you don't like his mean tweets".

Or, you know, he was well known as a fraud and a conman for years before twitter even existed.

But I specified "anti-anti-Trump types".  It's a specific crowd.  The two uses of "anti" was not an error.

These are the Republicans / right-leaning folks who say "well you know I'm not a big fan of Trump, but the left is much worse".  So they boil down right-wing criticism of Trump to "Trump derangement syndrome" / "orange man bad" / "you don't like his tweets".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2024, 01:50:40 PMA policy that looks bad to an economist will most likely eventually look bad to voters, directly or indirectly.  Price controls may sound great to voters, but shortages don't, and shortages are what results from price controls on entities that aren't actually monopolies.
Yeah, the price controls thing does worry me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 28, 2024, 08:13:24 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 28, 2024, 01:50:40 PMA policy that looks bad to an economist will most likely eventually look bad to voters, directly or indirectly.  Price controls may sound great to voters, but shortages don't, and shortages are what results from price controls on entities that aren't actually monopolies.
Yeah, the price controls thing does worry me.

Chances that we have literal price controls are zero. Nixon already tried it and we shouldn't imitate Nixon's policies.

But maybe in certain industries where the market share is overwhelmingly controlled by a few companies they have to get approval from a regulatory body to increase prices above a certain percent over a period of time. But even that strikes me as unlikely unless cost increases really go nuts and somehow Congress consists of 435 AOCs and 100 Bernie Bros.

So don't panic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 24, 2024, 03:00:05 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2024, 01:55:28 PMI don't understand why they would listen to him and vote for Trump.
I've always thought that RFK probably hurts Trump more than anyone else because there's some degree or overlap. The Roseanne Barr voter if you will :bleeding:
He was getting a lot of the double haters, but once Biden dropped out, Harris got a lot of those votes and then he was hurting Trump more than the Dems.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on August 30, 2024, 03:03:19 AMhttps://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/aug/29/harris-walz-interview-election

QuoteKamala Harris's much-hyped, first big interview was ... radically normal

Which means she's going to walk back some progressive stuff because it's not playing.

Admiral Yi

Army statement about Arlington incident.

Barrister

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/08/29/trump-measure-overturn-florida-six-week-abortion-ban-00176809

Trump says he does not support a six week abortion ban this is on the ballot in Florida.  His campaign is trying to walk it back.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2024, 05:38:30 AMArmy statement about Arlington incident.

Example 3,235,672 of how Trump thinks he can ignore the rules that apply to everyone else.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 30, 2024, 01:57:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2024, 05:38:30 AMArmy statement about Arlington incident.

Example 3,235,672 of how Trump thinks he can ignore the rules that apply to everyone else.

And example3,235,673 of how the Trump campaign is just weird as fuck.  Instead of characterizing the disagreement as a disagreement, they try to make it a "mental health episode," as though anyone at all would believe that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sophie Scholl

He seems to be right, unfortunately.  <_<
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 30, 2024, 05:47:46 PM

And example3,235,673 of how the Trump campaign is just weird as fuck.  Instead of characterizing the disagreement as a disagreement, they try to make it a "mental health episode," as though anyone at all would believe that.
:hmm:
Who do you included in that "anyone" ?  He still has lots of defenders.
 :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on August 30, 2024, 09:46:12 PM:hmm:
Who do you included in that "anyone" ?  He still has lots of defenders.
 :P

I mean that anyone would believe what the Trump staffers are putting out that the park service woman was somehow just insane.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

I am kind of with the Rest is Politics US' take on this - look at how we are talking about Trump every waking moment again. If he went away and talked policy nobody would give a damn. Now it's Trump Trump Trump, Trump Trump Trump, because his aides had an altercation in a cemetery.

He is absolutely right to be an outrageous troll because that's what the media and the public want.