News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

The art of wrecking the economy

This is a feature of Republican governments, so we can't fault their electors for applauding this.  GW Bush wrecked the good growth Clinton had, Trump destroyed what improvements Obama had, and now Trump is wants a chance to do it again.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 06, 2024, 03:23:12 PM"Something in the culture" = a deliberate marketing ploy by weapon manufacturers, with the help of the NRA's gun fetishism, and the growth of far-right movements in the US.

This.
30 years ago civilians weren't walking around with ar-15 pattern rifles and anyone who did so would be regarded as a loon and mocked by other hunters and target shooters.  Now the boys with their silly toys mock the traditional hunters as "Fudds".  The NRA has changed the culture upside down. I wouldn't care about the ar-15 fanboys and their GI Joe fantasies if they didn't insist that their hobby trumps the safety of American school children,
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Why do you think it was marketing ploys and NRA agitprop as opposed to organic changes in the tastes of gun purchasers?

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

High quality election campaign  :lol:

Context: A bizarre narrative about Haitian immigrants eating pets.

Tamas

Grey Fox

It's Elon's account. Everyone has to see his tweets.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on September 10, 2024, 05:52:01 AM

This is something mainstream with the right or weird Internet lunacy? First I've heard of it.
Though I do remember back before the brexit vote a upurge in paranoia and fake news about gypsy pet kidnapping
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on September 10, 2024, 09:07:31 AM
Quote from: Zanza on September 10, 2024, 05:52:01 AM

This is something mainstream with the right or weird Internet lunacy? First I've heard of it.
Though I do remember back before the brexit vote a upurge in paranoia and fake news about gypsy pet kidnapping

I am fairly sure all Musk saw was a meme-ish Trump picture and he hit share, I don't assume an understanding of the underlying reasons.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 10, 2024, 08:09:33 AMIt's Elon's account. Everyone has to see his tweets.

Can you actually mute Elon's posts?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2024, 10:17:59 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 10, 2024, 08:09:33 AMIt's Elon's account. Everyone has to see his tweets.

I think you're one of the few here still on the platform. Time to test it out :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on September 10, 2024, 10:32:42 AM

I think you're one of the few here still on the platform. Time to test it out :D

Test initiated.

I might unmute him though because I like to see what crazy shit he's posting, since clearly he has nothing better to do with his time despite controlling three multi-billion-dollar companies...

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2024, 10:39:36 AM

Test initiated.

I might unmute him though because I like to see what crazy shit he's posting, since clearly he has nothing better to do with his time despite controlling three multi-billion-dollar companies...

Shareholders don't do anything

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 10, 2024, 10:42:25 AM

Test initiated.

Let's check...

Elon Musk is CEO of Tesla, CEO of SpaceX, and Chairman, Chief Technology officer and the majority shareholder of privately-held Twitter.

I think "controlling three multi-billion-dollar companies" is a fair assessment.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2024, 10:52:37 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 10, 2024, 10:42:25 AM

Test initiated.

Let's check...

Elon Musk is CEO of Tesla, CEO of SpaceX, and Chairman, Chief Technology officer and the majority shareholder of privately-held Twitter.

I think "controlling three multi-billion-dollar companies" is a fair assessment.

I am not sure what your point is.  You used the word "controlling".  That is normally associated with shareholding.  And btw why did you respond to my statement that shareholders don't do anything by saying he is a majority shareholder?  A chairman of a corporation doesn't do much except manage the board, which isn't actually anything when the Board is essentially him.  Unless he likes talking to himself, a lot.

Now being a CEO and CTO are substantive positions in most companies.  But I am not sure about Tesla and SpaceX.  I think it likely the duties of those offices are mainly being carried out by others.