News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 10, 2024, 11:32:08 AMI am not sure what your point is.  You used the word "controlling".  That is normally associated with shareholding.  And btw why did you respond to my statement that shareholders don't do anything by saying he is a majority shareholder?  A chairman of a corporation doesn't do much except manage the board, which isn't actually anything when the Board is essentially him.  Unless he likes talking to himself, a lot.

Now being a CEO and CTO are substantive positions in most companies.  But I am not sure about Tesla and SpaceX.  I think it likely the duties of those offices are mainly being carried out by others. 

The key fact for Twitter is that it is privately-held.  Absent some kind of shareholders agreement that means the majority shareholder (Musk) can do what he wants with the company (as long as not screwing over the minority shareholder).

How much control does Musk actually use with respect to SpaceX and Tesla?  Impossible to say, since we know his attention is hideously divided.  But as CEO of both he has a lot of power and control if he chooses to exercise it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2024, 10:17:59 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 10, 2024, 08:09:33 AMIt's Elon's account. Everyone has to see his tweets.

Can you actually mute Elon's posts?

I blocked him long ago. It still holds up.  :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2024, 11:59:38 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 10, 2024, 11:32:08 AMI am not sure what your point is.  You used the word "controlling".  That is normally associated with shareholding.  And btw why did you respond to my statement that shareholders don't do anything by saying he is a majority shareholder?  A chairman of a corporation doesn't do much except manage the board, which isn't actually anything when the Board is essentially him.  Unless he likes talking to himself, a lot.

Now being a CEO and CTO are substantive positions in most companies.  But I am not sure about Tesla and SpaceX.  I think it likely the duties of those offices are mainly being carried out by others. 

The key fact for Twitter is that it is privately-held.  Absent some kind of shareholders agreement that means the majority shareholder (Musk) can do what he wants with the company (as long as not screwing over the minority shareholder).

How much control does Musk actually use with respect to SpaceX and Tesla?  Impossible to say, since we know his attention is hideously divided.  But as CEO of both he has a lot of power and control if he chooses to exercise it.

CEO's have a lot of power, but control is not normally a word one associates with a corporate officer since they are supposed to act in the best interest of the corporation as directed by the Board.  And so if anyone has "control" it is the Board.  But I grant you that it is unlikely Musk worries about such niceties.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 10, 2024, 01:58:19 PMCEO's have a lot of power, but control is not normally a word one associates with a corporate officer since they are supposed to act in the best interest of the corporation as directed by the Board.  And so if anyone has "control" it is the Board.  But I grant you that it is unlikely Musk worries about such niceties.

Yeah but the Tesla Board is full of his family members and sycophants who happily loot billions from the company to hand over to him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2024, 02:52:26 PMYeah but the Tesla Board is full of his family members and sycophants who happily loot billions from the company to hand over to him.

A judge voided his mammoth incentive based contract and then it was reinstated by a proxy vote of all shareholders.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2024, 02:58:17 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2024, 02:52:26 PMYeah but the Tesla Board is full of his family members and sycophants who happily loot billions from the company to hand over to him.

A judge voided his mammoth incentive based contract and then it was reinstated by a proxy vote of all shareholders.

I know. But the board never should have voted for it. The shareholders were in a terrible position. They chose the least disastrous option but it was very bad for the company.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2024, 02:59:23 PMI know. But the board never should have voted for it. The shareholders were in a terrible position. They chose the least disastrous option but it was very bad for the company.

I don't understand.  I'm a Tesla shareholder.  Why was I in a terrible position?  I don't feel like I was in a terrible position.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2024, 03:18:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2024, 02:59:23 PMI know. But the board never should have voted for it. The shareholders were in a terrible position. They chose the least disastrous option but it was very bad for the company.

I don't understand.  I'm a Tesla shareholder.  Why was I in a terrible position?  I don't feel like I was in a terrible position.

One of you people explained to me why it would be really bad to not vote for it.

And please explain why a company with declining sales that I am invested in is essentially setting 50 Billion dollars on fire is good. I guess if I am a shareholder I want to see profits used in a wise manner, not wasted on nothing.

But it seemed not doing so was also very bad. So they had to choose between two terrible options. That seems like a bad position to be put in.

HVC

Yi likes to see the rich get richer, so he's doing his part. Selfless really.

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2024, 04:09:23 PMOne of you people explained to me why it would be really bad to not vote for it.

And please explain why a company with declining sales that I am invested in is essentially setting 50 Billion dollars on fire is good. I guess if I am a shareholder I want to see profits used in a wise manner, not wasted on nothing.

But it seemed not doing so was also very bad. So they had to choose between two terrible options. That seems like a bad position to be put in.

I remember when the contract was originally publicized and approved by the bad old rubber stamp board.  The way I remember it was a shit ton of money for what I thought at the time were impossible performance targets.  Share price rises to Z billion, cars delivered rises to X trillion, they were big, ambitious numbers.  Performance numbers perfectly align the interests of shareholders and the CEO.  And in exchange he gave up a salary.  I didn't object at the time, how fair would it be to object now that he met those impossible goals?  That's like welching on a bet.

So no, "burning the money" and "nothing" are not accurate descriptors IMO.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on September 10, 2024, 04:10:51 PMYi likes to see the rich get richer, so he's doing his part. Selfless really.

I'm indifferent to the rich getting richer and have never lifted a finger to help them.

The rich getting richer eats you up so you are driven to relabel indifference as preference.  ;)

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 10, 2024, 04:30:56 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 10, 2024, 04:10:51 PMYi likes to see the rich get richer, so he's doing his part. Selfless really.

I'm indifferent to the rich getting richer and have never lifted a finger to help them.

The rich getting richer eats you up so you are driven to relabel indifference as preference.  ;)

It's not fun if you take legitimate offence :(
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on September 10, 2024, 04:31:31 PMIt's not fun if you take legitimate offence :(

I know, and I did give some thought to how I could signal I knew you were on the joking plane and I was too, but I couldn't come up with anything.  :(

For the record I've never taken offense at anything you've posted.  You're at least short list for least offensive poster and possibly #1. :cheers:

IMO

HVC