News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2024, 07:00:56 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 24, 2024, 02:24:03 PMI think only the conspiracy types will...depending on their exact conspiracy I guess.

I had a low opinion of RFK, but I thought at least he really seems to care about his environmentalism stuff even if it went off in hippie and conspiracy theory directions...but it seems it was all bullshit. I can't even trust delusional people to be true to their stated principles in politics.

So even by the low opinion I had of him, this is disappointing. He was just a corrupt grifter after all.

His main backer was Trump's main financial backer.  What did you expect? :)

To be fair, funding a guy to try and split the democrat vote a little seems like a good tactical move even if you have zero love for any of his views.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Is this some kind of game people play where they come on calling for things like bigger social programs and strict environmental regulations and then turn around and endorse the guy who is opposed to all of things?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2024, 05:29:45 PMIs this some kind of game people play where they come on calling for things like bigger social programs and strict environmental regulations and then turn around and endorse the guy who is opposed to all of things?

RFK Jr or Gabbard?

RFK Jr is where the guy who claims his brain was half-eaten by a worm endorses the guy who proposed injecting bleach as a potential cure for Covid.

Gabbard is where the woman in Moscow's pocket votes for Putin's Manchurian candidate.

No surprises there, really.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

So Kennedy is a joke. But checking up I see he was polling 5%+ in some states...switching that to Trump is a worry.
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

I feel like a lot of folks who were backing RFK, Jr. will simply not vote now. Or maybe vote for Jill Stein or something. It certainly won't be a straight switchover to Trump. Probably not even a majority.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

I saw an interview with the 538 dude in which he said he expects Trump to pick up .1%.

FunkMonk

RFKJ voters are people who say they hate the two party system and people who don't know what the two party system is. I suspect the vast majority of them will simply not vote in November or write in Kennedy anyway.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 27, 2024, 08:26:32 AMRFKJ voters are people who say they hate the two party system and people who don't know what the two party system is. I suspect the vast majority of them will simply not vote in November or write in Kennedy anyway.

From the bit I read, I think he did say during his press conference that where he is on the ballot, they can still vote for him... :wacko:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Solmyr

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2024, 08:28:48 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on August 27, 2024, 08:26:32 AMRFKJ voters are people who say they hate the two party system and people who don't know what the two party system is. I suspect the vast majority of them will simply not vote in November or write in Kennedy anyway.

From the bit I read, I think he did say during his press conference that where he is on the ballot, they can still vote for him... :wacko:

He probably thinks his votes automatically transfer to Trump or something.

garbon

Quote from: Solmyr on August 28, 2024, 03:03:19 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2024, 08:28:48 AM

He probably thinks his votes automatically transfer to Trump or something.

I saw a clarifying comment this morning that he told his supporters they could still vote for him in non-battleground states. His team is also trying to get him de-listed where they can.

Admiral Yi

Discussion on MSNBC of Harris' proposal to tax unrealized gains for individuals with 100 million plus.

Has anyone seen anything on her price gouging proposal that lays out specifics?  I.e. that says what price gouging is.

The Brain

You take our huddled masses and we take your rich people. Seems fair.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

To be honest I'd vote for a paper bag with a smiley face drawn on it so I'm not really concerned about policy nuance vs they land well with voters.