News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Oh and I'll guess Heaven, Earth, Body
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on September 01, 2009, 03:18:41 PM
DoH!

Heaven, Earth, People!!

Edit: but didn't I get 1.5 for Heaven, People, Ruler?

Edit2: Halfling gets 0.5 points... geddit?

Heave, Earth, People also gets 2.5 because I'm being a stickler.  In fact, with a different translator from Chinese might get be worth the full three points.

So that's one explanation out of three possible (and the one you'll find on wikipedia).  Any takers on the other explanations?  I'll post them later tonight if there are no takers.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maximus

Jacob

The point was awarded to Heaven, Earth and People.

The answer I was looking for was Heaven, Earth and Man, but I think the difference between "man" and "people" is one that lies in the English-Chinese translation rather than the substance of the actual meaning.  No point in reducing it to semantics.

Now, would anyone like to guess what the other possible origin for the Three United Society?

Eddie Teach

Hey Jacob, who is the chick in your avatar?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 01, 2009, 04:21:10 PM
Hey Jacob, who is the chick in your avatar?

I probably knew way back when when I made the avatar, but now I don't remember at all.

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on September 01, 2009, 04:19:12 PM

The answer I was looking for was Heaven, Earth and Man, but I think the difference between "man" and "people" is one that lies in the English-Chinese translation rather than the substance of the actual meaning.  No point in reducing it to semantics.

Now, would anyone like to guess what the other possible origin for the Three United Society?

isn't "人" (ren) used for both man and people?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on September 01, 2009, 05:39:06 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 01, 2009, 04:19:12 PM

isn't "人" (ren) used for both man and people?

Only Squares think that.

Viking

I think the next question is mine.

The poor man Böttgers little magic trick resulted in the discovery of a great secret which made the man that kidnapped him much richer than he already was. What was the great secret?

Jacob

Quote from: Viking on September 01, 2009, 05:46:07 PM

The poor man Böttgers little magic trick resulted in the discovery of a great secret which made the man that kidnapped him much richer than he already was. What was the great secret?

Sure if no one can come up with the other two explanations for the three unities.  You got the easy one.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on September 01, 2009, 05:53:33 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 01, 2009, 05:46:07 PM

Sure if no one can come up with the other two explanations for the three unities.  You got the easy one.

But you have to give us the answer and background.

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on September 01, 2009, 05:53:33 PM

You wanted one answer. We obviously didn't know and just started guessing. I don't think anyone of us suddenly gonna brainstorm the other meanings, unless they are gold, opium and blood.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 01, 2009, 06:00:49 PMBut you have to give us the answer and background.

According to the legend when the Shaolin temple was destroyed by the Qing emperor (at the incitement of the grand secretary, claiming that the monks would rebel) only five monks survived.  The monks set up a society, the Tiandihui (the Heaven and Earth Society), to overthrow the Qing.  The Tiandihui was originally headquarted in Muk Yeung City in Fujian.  The five monks failed to overthrow the Qing and split up, each founding a lodge in different parts of China to continue the struggle.  Before they parted, they devised a series of secret signs and signals by which their followers were meant to identify each other.  In the 19th the second of these lodges, the Samhehui, in Guandong province became quite powerful.  It was called the Samhehui (Three United Society) because the lodge was founded near three rivers.

So that's the second explanation.

The Tiandihui were first noticed by the Qing empire when the society tried to rebel in 1786 in Taiwan.  Once the rebellion was repressed, the Emperor ordered a task force to investigate the origin of the society.  After a three year investigation, involving many officials across the country the investigation concluded that the Tiandihui was founded in 1761 or 1762 by the monk Hung Erh at the Guanyin Temple in Gaoxi village, Zhanpu county, Zhangshou prefecture in Fujian province.  Modern scholarship is suspicious of the Shaolin founding legend and leans towards the Tiandihui being the natural evolution of various mutual protection societies divorced from any political aims.  The Samhehui alias of the Tiandihui is posited as being named after the three primary founders, Hung, Lee and Zhu, the statues of which appear on triad altars.

And that's the third explanation.