And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Armyknife on July 31, 2009, 09:00:12 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 31, 2009, 08:35:19 AM
Providence, Rhode Island was abandoned and burned to the ground during what war?

The Stonewall riots ?

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: I laughed and laughed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

You stood by and laughed while bloodthirsty savages burned Providence to the ground!? :ultra:

Tim: Puerto Rico Nero.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on July 31, 2009, 12:43:04 PM
You stood by and laughed while bloodthirsty savages burned Providence to the ground!? :ultra:

The rioters at Stonewall had a different fluid of choice.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Kleves

The floor seems to be open, so I will throw an easy one out there: By date of commission, who was the United States first 5-star general, and in what year was he promoted to that rank?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Caliga

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Kleves

Actually,  after double-checking wiki, it seems I may have made a mistake. My intended answer was: George Washington, 1864. I was under the impression that Congress posthumously promoted Washington in that year, so that Grant wouldn't outrank him; wiki says Washington wasn't promoted until 1976, and then to the rank of General of the Armies, or a six-star rank (which is apparently what Pershing held). Another potential source of confusion is whether or not the rank of General of the Army (Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan's rank) is equivalent to a 5-star general (it is), since none of them actually wore 5-stars on their uniform. Because of these discrepencies, I yield the floor, shame-faced.  :blush:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Caliga

I knew that George Washington received a posthumous 5-star promotion, but I thought you meant which person was the first to be awared five stars in chronological order of the award.  IIRC Washington got a later promotion to 6 stars and the title "General of the United States", which was Congress's way of making sure nobody would ever outrank Washington under any circumstances.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Kleves on July 31, 2009, 01:23:33 PM
Actually,  after double-checking wiki, it seems I may have made a mistake. My intended answer was: George Washington, 1864. I was under the impression that Congress posthumously promoted Washington in that year, so that Grant wouldn't outrank him; wiki says Washington wasn't promoted until 1976, and then to the rank of General of the Armies, or a six-star rank (which is apparently what Pershing held). Another potential source of confusion is whether or not the rank of General of the Army (Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan's rank) is equivalent to a 5-star general (it is), since none of them actually wore 5-stars on their uniform. Because of these discrepencies, I yield the floor, shame-faced.  :blush:

Grant was General of the Army which was at the time a 4 star rank.

Marshal was the first 5 star general, and IIRC the reason there is no Field Marshal rank in the US. They thought it would be silly if he was Field Marshal Marshal.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

But Tim, it would have been Field Marshal Marshall. -_-

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on July 31, 2009, 01:33:00 PM
Well than that makes it A Okay.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Kleves

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 31, 2009, 01:30:24 PM
Grant was General of the Army which was at the time a 4 star rank.
Grant wore 4 stars, as did Sheridan, while Sherman wore 2. I don't think they had the stars hammered out at that point. Wasn't Marshall's rank that of General of the Army?

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on July 31, 2009, 01:33:00 PM

Marshal Marshall Mann approves of this joke.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.