News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Like modern Americans they used bleach instead of actually washing them thoroughly.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alatriste

Raz, Brainy, you are closer than you think to the truth...

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Alatriste

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 24, 2009, 06:08:26 AM
They clean them with snow?

Nope, snow would have worked with any color.

Caliga

They washed them in limewater, which acts as a natural bleaching agent?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Alatriste on July 24, 2009, 01:46:04 AM
OK, Grumbler probably will know this one, but it's too good not to post it. Why did Austrians think white uniforms were actually the easiest to keep clean and attractive on campaign?
I'll stay out of this one.  Good question, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

They would lay the uniforms out between campaigns and hope the sun bleached them back to white?

Grey Fox

I have no idea. I even googled it to no avail. :(
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

I actually decided to google it too after my second guess and also cannot find the answer.  :huh:

Viking

White means any dirt is easily visible and thus the soldiers make a greater effort to keep the uniforms clean. On a blue or red or green background dirt might go un-noticed.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alatriste

Caliga

Quote from: Alatriste on July 24, 2009, 12:45:06 PM
Should I post the answer?
Yes, if our brilliant minds haven't deduced the answer by now then it's not going to ever happen.

ulmont

Quote from: Alatriste on July 24, 2009, 12:45:06 PM
Should I post the answer?

Hah, I just found the answer through the google.

MadImmortalMan

I thought it was because it would be easier for dyers to get the color right. Keeping it clean---no idea.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers