And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

The wood was held together with pipe clay and undyed Austrian uniforms.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alatriste

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2009, 06:42:46 AM
I could go for un indicio, vato.

What's a "vato", friendo?

Hint: Great Britain in 1805 had at least 140 ships of the line. But in spite of the crisis that led to Trafalgar far less than 50% of them were in actual service... and pretty much the same happened with the British, Dutch, Spanish and French fleets during the XVIII century and the Napoleonic Wars.

Caliga

errr.... the Baltic is infested with some kind of worm that really likes to eat wood?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Alatriste

Quote from: Caliga on July 29, 2009, 07:01:37 AM
errr.... the Baltic is infested with some kind of worm that really likes to eat wood?

Nope. I will say it in another way: Why did Britain, France, Spain, etc. build so many ships when they couldn't find crews for more than 30% or 40% of them at the most?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Alatriste on July 29, 2009, 06:59:43 AM
What's a "vato", friendo?
Central American equivalent of dude.  No clue what it actually means.

Threviel

Quote from: Alatriste on July 29, 2009, 07:08:22 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 29, 2009, 07:01:37 AM

Nope. I will say it in another way: Why did Britain, France, Spain, etc. build so many ships when they couldn't find crews for more than 30% or 40% of them at the most?

There wasn't enough sheer hulks?

Caliga

Who was the guy who used to google/wiki every trivia question and then deny he had done that?  Agelastus?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

We don't know! and when we tried to google it we FAILED!

Just tell us the answer.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Quote from: Alatriste on July 29, 2009, 07:08:22 AM
Why did Britain build so many ships when they couldn't find crews for more than 30% or 40% of them at the most?

They were optimistic about how many ships they'd be able to crew with American pressgangs?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Alatriste on July 27, 2009, 03:28:32 PM
I didn't want to answer because, if I'm right, it's quite related with Spanish history. Anyway... during the XVI century the biggest ships, the galleons for example, carried one company of infantry... commanded by a captain. In consequence, the ships had to be commanded by captains to avoid the godamned landlubbers being in charge!
Close enough. In fact, the "captain" was, indeed, the commander of the ship's company of soldiers.  The modern naval crew is, in fact, descended from those soldiers, and not the civilian crews who used to man the ship (under the "master").  This is also why the RN has a position in the British Army order of precedence.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

saskganesh

Quote from: Alatriste on July 29, 2009, 01:21:52 AM
I take the floor, gentlemen.

Napoleonic trivia, part MMCLVIII: Russian warships of this era had a much shorter life span than those of other powers, quite a few were scrapped after barely 10 years afloat. Why?

guessing with thanks from google! these ships were temporary, and were built to escape high timber taxes. once they reached destination, they were salvaged and the wood was sold for profit. Russia was a timber exporter so the practise was widespread, maybe aided by a corrupt tsarist naval bureaucracy who got paid twice for 1) building the warships and then after a polite period of floating storage 2) selling the timber at market.

???
humans were created in their own image

Siege

Whoa, so pre-XIX century ships weren't durable?

What life-span are we talking about here? Years?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Alatriste

Quote from: Siege on July 29, 2009, 06:57:39 PM
Whoa, so pre-XIX century ships weren't durable?

What life-span are we talking about here? Years?

On the contrary, HMS Victory is still afloat for a reason. If timber was properly cured (a process that took years) wooden ships could last for 100 years in service and some actually did.

Sorry about the delay, but the reason, ironically, was that Russia had a secure, cheap and endless supply of everything needed to build ships: timber, hemp, pitch, copper, iron... and workers too, more dirt cheap serfs that you can shake a stick at.

The other powers had to take into account that their vital naval supplies were always in danger. Just Denmark closing the Sund would cut their vital supply line and force them to close their shipyards once they exhausted their stocks.

Regarding timber, their answer was to buy in times of peace, cure it properly, build all the ships they could, and make sure that the ships would last for decades. In war they kept building ships if they could, but crewing the ships already built and kept in reserve was much faster.

The Russians were in the opposite situation. They controlled the supply and the prices, and serfs weren't paid at all... in consequence the Tsar paid a far lower price for a new ship of the line than Britain, France or Spain.  in those conditions it made perfect sense to build shoddy ships with green timber. Sure, they would rot in 10 or 15 years, but why bother spending time, space and resources in curing the timber when one has all the inmense forests of Russia and Siberia?

Admiral Yi