Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alatriste

Quote from: ulmont on July 24, 2009, 12:47:44 PM
Quote from: Alatriste on July 24, 2009, 12:45:06 PM
Should I post the answer?

Hah, I just found the answer through the google.

I wonder if it's the same I read.

OK, it's true white uniforms could be 'cleaned' with dirt and even with chalk too (all armies used chalk to 'clean' white leather equipment, by the way) mainly because they weren't truely white but natural wool... they would probably look a a very pale cream or gray to us.

And that's the reason, that white uniforms weren't dyed. Dyes were so bad in those days that uniforms of other colors looked old and worn out in far less time than white ones. In addition white uniforms were cheaper, making them even more attractive for cash starved Austria.

I was going to make another question, what trick did soldiers use to hide holes in their shoes if they had a parade, etc (answer: paint their feet black with shoe polish) but I have already made two...

@MadInmortalMan

Forget about getting the color right. In those days, prior to the Industrial Revolution, that was an unachievable dream... Regiments tried hard to achieve uniformity but memories from this epoch leave it abundantly clear that many battalions in campaign were indeed a motley crew, with civilian pants, coats from several batches that didn't really match, etc, etc...

For example many French battalions in Spain in 1809-10 were indeed in a sorry state, with a mix of blue and white coats, bicorns and shakos, all in the same unit...

ulmont

Quote from: Alatriste on July 24, 2009, 01:12:20 PM
I wonder if it's the same I read.

OK, it's true white uniforms could be 'cleaned' with dirt and even with chalk too (all armies used chalk to 'clean' white leather equipment, by the way) mainly because they weren't truely white but natural wool... they would probably look a a very pale cream or gray to us.

The one I read just said they could be 'cleaned' with chalk, missing the dirt, but otherwise yes.

grumbler

Quote from: ulmont on July 24, 2009, 01:57:09 PM
The one I read just said they could be 'cleaned' with chalk, missing the dirt, but otherwise yes.
They commonly used pipe clay, which is a white "dirt" (not really a clay unless mixed with water) that was cheap and covered up the stains (until the next rain, anyway).  Chalk was also used, but was more expensive. 

Leaving the uniforms undyed also was cheaper.  The Napoleonic French army experimented with white uniforms for the same reasons.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Here's a softball:  why is the commanding officer of a warship always called "captain?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2009, 06:22:05 PM
Here's a softball:  why is the commanding officer of a warship always called "captain?"

Ego?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2009, 06:22:05 PM

Tradition!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 26, 2009, 03:13:03 AM
Tradition!
You are on the right track.

Biggish hint:  it is the same reason the crew is called "the ship's company."

Bayraktar!

Alatriste

I didn't want to answer because, if I'm right, it's quite related with Spanish history. Anyway... during the XVI century the biggest ships, the galleons for example, carried one company of infantry... commanded by a captain. In consequence, the ships had to be commanded by captains to avoid the godamned landlubbers being in charge!

Alatriste

I take the floor, gentlemen.

Napoleonic trivia, part MMCLVIII: Russian warships of this era had a much shorter life span than those of other powers, quite a few were scrapped after barely 10 years afloat. Why?

Sophie Scholl

Usage of inferior wood?  Not aged long enough so it warped or something?  No idea.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

I guess it has something to do with faulty reactor shielding.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Alatriste

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on July 29, 2009, 01:44:52 AM
Usage of inferior wood?  Not aged long enough so it warped or something?  No idea.

Indeed, the wood the Russians used wasn't 'cured' long enough (a process that took years in English, French, Spanish or Dutch shipyards) but why did they use that wood?