News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alatriste

24 hours rule (since October 27, 2009, 12:29:15)

OK, the Napoleonic trivia loony strikes again.

Where did end the Napoleonic Wars? I mean the last combat between military units, because the very last shots belonged to a firing squad... probably Ney's in December 1815.

Hint: the place is not terribly original, but the participants and the date will surprise many, I think.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

I think it was in Naples, between Murat's kingdom and... someone else?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Viking

French Commerce raider against British ship somewhere out at sea.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alatriste

Quote from: Viking on October 28, 2009, 04:39:41 AM
French Commerce raider against British ship somewhere out at sea.

That's likely, but I mean on land. that's the reason I wrote "combat between military units"...  and I see I didn't define the question as clearly I should have: I'm asking about the last clash of land units in Europe itself (because when news of Napoleon's flight from Elba reached, say, Java, Mauritius or the Philippines Napoleon probably had abdicated again)

Alatriste

No ideas? Well, it was a difficult one.

More or less unofficially the siege of Huningue is generally accepted as the last action of the Napoleonic Wars.

Huningue (german Huningen) was an small fortress sited just across the Rhin from Basel, where Germany, France and Switzeland meet. As such, it was too much to the South to be of any importance after Waterloo. The allies sent to blockade the place a hot-podge of second line troops German (from Austria, Wurttemberg and Hesse-Darmstadt) and Swiss.

The Germans blockaded the place and stopped at that, just waiting for the French to come to their senses and surrender, but the Swiss... the Swiss weren't up to their usual standards. They were green, quite undisciplined troops from the army of the Confederation, almost a militia, and started pillaging the countryside. The French, incensed by the Swiss kicking them when they were down, retaliated bombing Basel from the ramparts.

During the ensuing weeks, and under the astonished eyes of the Germans, French and Swiss fought a nasty, bitter and totally pointless little war of pillage expeditions, trench raids, bombings and insulting letters (general Barbanegre, the French commander, even had the nerve to ask the Allies a truce in order to celebrate the Day of Saint Louis, in honour of Louis XVIII) until finally, Barbanegre got full honors of war for the garrison and the place surrendered on August 26th.

The defenders were saluted by the Archdukes Karl, Ferdinand and Johann, marshall Barclay de Tolly and count Hochberg (Baden) but very significantly no Swiss authority. In fact, Basel demanded and got from Louis XVIII that Huningue fortifications be razed. 

French wiki includes a picture showing Barbanegre and his soldiers leaving Huningue between two rows of Austrian grenadiers. At least the Archdukes and Barclay (in green uniform) can be easily recognized (I very much doubt, however, that the French were allowed to leave waving an imperial tricolor flag... )

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Detaille_1.jpg

Open floor.

Razgovory

Okay, here's a semi-Napoleonic question.  In 1810 the French Government award Nicolas Appert 12,000 Francs for doing what?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Lettow77

Invented a safe canning process to preserve food
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 29, 2009, 03:16:57 AM
Invented a safe canning process to preserve food

Okay.  You got it.  Or at least close enough.

Lettow77

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Threviel

Caliga

Dude, while this pic was uploading the board showed me the file link which contains its name.  :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Alatriste

Uhmmm... it's a dreadnought with six double towers and secondary artillery in casemates (sited very low). It has anti torpedo nets and, judging by the amount of smoke, I would say it burns coal. And the lines seem British to me...

Being a dreadnought it was built after 1906, but I would say evidence (those casemates, for example) suggests a date some years before 1914. Between 1908 and 1910, perhaps?