And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on November 01, 2009, 07:56:58 PM
Leviathan, Terrible, Hercules, Poweful?

Out of sheer brute-force guessing, I guess Viking gets it.

Laid down as HMS Powerful, but commissioned as HMCS Bonaventure, and only decommissioned in 1970.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

The News of Napoleons death was a boon on the London Stock Market. However, some scoundrels had the news before the market did and made a killing on insider trading in government stocks. How did they get the information before anybody else and how were the scoundrels exposed?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alatriste

Quote from: Viking on November 02, 2009, 07:53:46 AM
Hint, Napoleon was not dead.

Did they claim to have used pigeons, and were exposed because pigeons couldn't have crossed the Atlantic from St. Helena?

Viking

Quote from: Alatriste on November 02, 2009, 08:41:37 AM
Quote from: Viking on November 02, 2009, 07:53:46 AM
Hint, Napoleon was not dead.

Did they claim to have used pigeons, and were exposed because pigeons couldn't have crossed the Atlantic from St. Helena?

Nope.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HisMajestyBOB

Pigeons was my guess as well.

If not that, then they got the word from some sailor or officer (possibly drunk in a bar?).
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Viking

No drudge report

But the bar bit is part of the story. But that is not how they knew that the news of napoleons death would reach the market.

Alexandru H.

I don't know if it refers to the same scoundrels, but Nathan Rothschild made a killing by having a network of couriers and spies in both camps. He received a report from one of his men before anyone else and made a kill at the London stock market (it was probably the quickest way to a great fortune anyone had managed to do in history).

The way he did it was classic: his agents began selling the British paper money creating a buzz within the other businessmen who thought Wellington had lost the battle. They began to sell the paper money, which were immediately bought, at a fraction of a price, by Rothschild's men. When the news of the battle reached the Stock Market, Rotschild was a very, very rich man...

Viking

Quote from: Alexandru H. on November 02, 2009, 10:29:15 AM
I don't know if it refers to the same scoundrels, but Nathan Rothschild made a killing by having a network of couriers and spies in both camps. He received a report from one of his men before anyone else and made a kill at the London stock market (it was probably the quickest way to a great fortune anyone had managed to do in history).

The way he did it was classic: his agents began selling the British paper money creating a buzz within the other businessmen who thought Wellington had lost the battle. They began to sell the paper money, which were immediately bought, at a fraction of a price, by Rothschild's men. When the news of the battle reached the Stock Market, Rotschild was a very, very rich man...

Allways facinating. But the event I refer to was in 1814.

Alexandru H.

You mean 1821, no?

Oh, I googled it... you're right, 1814... did not know about this event  :)

Viking

Eddie Teach

In that case, they got the information quickly by making it up, they were exposed by Napoleon being alive?  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 02, 2009, 10:41:34 AM
In that case, they got the information quickly by making it up, they were exposed by Napoleon being alive?  :lol:

Hooray... Blackbeard gets it.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1931133_1931132_1931126,00.html

Eddie Teach

Alright. The Song of Roland was based on which battle?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?