Which restaurant will establish a monopoly to serve us all our food?

Started by alfred russel, June 02, 2021, 05:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As the world moves toward monopolies, which restaurant will establish a monopoly to serve us all our food?

McDonalds
7 (36.8%)
Taco Bell
5 (26.3%)
Chipotle
1 (5.3%)
Wendy's
1 (5.3%)
Five Guys
1 (5.3%)
Dunkin Donuts
0 (0%)
Subway
1 (5.3%)
White Castle (Stoner Option)
0 (0%)
Dunkin Donuts (Boston Option)
0 (0%)
Jack in the Box (Jaron Option)
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

How is this even up for debate?

Taco Bell wins the fast food wars.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

When I was a kid, I dreamed that McDonald's would eliminate all competition.  To help them achieve this most noble goal, I refused to go to other hamburger fast food places.  KFC, Burger King etc are humanity's worst enemy.   

The Minsky Moment

What's the difference between Dunkin Donuts and Dunkin Donuts (Boston Option)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Monoriu

I think the problem with this poll is that some of the restaurants like Taco Bell don't have much of a presence in many countries.  I have never seen one or heard of it in Hong Kong or China. 

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2021, 07:16:27 PM
What's the difference between Dunkin Donuts and Dunkin Donuts (Boston Option)

Oops. Maybe we can just pretend the first Dunkin Donuts is KFC.

Monoriu

I remember watching a Stallone movie.  He was frozen in time, and when he wakes up after a couple of decades or whatever, the only restaurant in the world is Pizza Hut. 

It is the wrong restaurant, but I liked the concept. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demolition_Man_(film)

DontSayBanana

It's already false choice: McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King are their own things, but you're missing the quiet megacorps that own several of the entries in the poll: Inspire Brands and Yum! Brands- Inspire is probably the real king- it owns Arby's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Sonic, Jimmy John's, Dunkin', and Baskin-Robbins along with a couple others, and Yum! is the company that owns KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and WingStreet, again along with a couple others (Yum! used to be a bigger player that also owned Long John Silver's and A&W, but it spun those off about 10 years ago).
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on June 02, 2021, 08:03:39 PM
I remember watching a Stallone movie.  He was frozen in time, and when he wakes up after a couple of decades or whatever, the only restaurant in the world is Pizza Hut. 

Wasn't it Taco Bell in that movie?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 02, 2021, 09:33:20 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 02, 2021, 08:03:39 PM

Wasn't it Taco Bell in that movie?

I am sure it was Pizza Hut.  At least it was Pizza Hut in the version I saw.   

Habbaku

https://www.cbr.com/demolition-man-taco-ball-pizza-hut-switch/

QuoteIn the version of Demolition Man released in the United States, Taco Bell is the only restaurant that remains in the year 2032. Spartan is invited to a Taco Bell dinner by city leader Doctor Raymond Cocteau (played by Nigel Hawthorne), as thanks for saving him from Simon Phoenix (Wesley Snipes), the criminal Spartan was awoken from cryogenic sleep to apprehend.

Taco Bell is an integral part of Demolition Man's legacy in the U.S., but in European markets, it was replaced by Pizza Hut. Both companies were owned by PepsiCo at the time. Conventional wisdom holds that Pizza Hut became the Franchise Wars winner in Europe because it had a greater international presence.

References to Pizza Hut were added to Demolition Man in post-production. That includes everything from logos to actual dialogue from Stallone and Bullock dubbed in during their drive to dinner. Clips of the "Pizza Hut Cut", in all its awkward glory, can be found on YouTube.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Monoriu

In Hong Kong, everybody knows Pizza Hut.  Whereas probably only those who have lived in North America would be aware of Taco Bell.