Which restaurant will establish a monopoly to serve us all our food?

Started by alfred russel, June 02, 2021, 05:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As the world moves toward monopolies, which restaurant will establish a monopoly to serve us all our food?

McDonalds
7 (36.8%)
Taco Bell
5 (26.3%)
Chipotle
1 (5.3%)
Wendy's
1 (5.3%)
Five Guys
1 (5.3%)
Dunkin Donuts
0 (0%)
Subway
1 (5.3%)
White Castle (Stoner Option)
0 (0%)
Dunkin Donuts (Boston Option)
0 (0%)
Jack in the Box (Jaron Option)
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Josquius

Mcdonalds is the biggest and most dominant amongst them however it is in retreat.
None.
I agree with the yum assessment.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 03, 2021, 02:56:03 AM
McDonald's sucks.

It depends.  The hamburgers are ok.  Big Macs are ok.  McNuggets, hash browns, sausages, and English muffins are actually quite nice.  The fries are only good if you eat them like immediately after buying them.  They last five minutes max.  The milkshakes are bad.  The scrambled eggs are a travesty.  The coffee is, well, not as good as it can be.  McCafe is reasonable.  What impresses me most is the consistency.  The Big Macs do taste the same throughout the world. 

I speak as a fan.

Josquius

I have heard mcdonald's consistency falters in the US.
Whilst in Japan it was fairly what I was used to (albeit with zero of the occasional screw ups) Americans there reported it was much better than they knew.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on June 02, 2021, 10:10:10 PM
https://www.cbr.com/demolition-man-taco-ball-pizza-hut-switch/

QuoteIn the version of Demolition Man released in the United States, Taco Bell is the only restaurant that remains in the year 2032. Spartan is invited to a Taco Bell dinner by city leader Doctor Raymond Cocteau (played by Nigel Hawthorne), as thanks for saving him from Simon Phoenix (Wesley Snipes), the criminal Spartan was awoken from cryogenic sleep to apprehend.

Taco Bell is an integral part of Demolition Man's legacy in the U.S., but in European markets, it was replaced by Pizza Hut. Both companies were owned by PepsiCo at the time. Conventional wisdom holds that Pizza Hut became the Franchise Wars winner in Europe because it had a greater international presence.

References to Pizza Hut were added to Demolition Man in post-production. That includes everything from logos to actual dialogue from Stallone and Bullock dubbed in during their drive to dinner. Clips of the "Pizza Hut Cut", in all its awkward glory, can be found on YouTube.
And weirdly I walked past the only Taco Bell I've ever seen in Poole yesterday.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

McDonalds: haven't been since early 00s, meh.
Taco Bell: never been
Chipotle: never been
Wendy's: been once in the 90s, don't remember much
Five Guys: been once recently, okay but massively overpriced
Dunkin Donuts: I know we're stretching the definition of restaurant in this thread, but donuts?
Subway: gross

Duque de Bragança

I need to check what version is on my blu-ray, I was asked once about it, but I remember hearing Pizza Hut when I watched it first at the cinema. Then heard Taco Bell during a TV screening some years ago.

The Brain

Didn't watch it in theaters. Remember hearing Taco Bell on the telly years ago.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

In the German dub of Demolition Man, it's Pizza Hut, but with a twist: hut is pronounced as "hoot", which is the German word for hat. :D

Neither brand were well known in Germany at the time and neither were tacos, so it's understandable they used the international Pizza Hut version. And I suppose the dubbers thought the logo looked like a hat. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 03, 2021, 04:46:18 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 02, 2021, 10:10:10 PM
https://www.cbr.com/demolition-man-taco-ball-pizza-hut-switch/

QuoteIn the version of Demolition Man released in the United States, Taco Bell is the only restaurant that remains in the year 2032. Spartan is invited to a Taco Bell dinner by city leader Doctor Raymond Cocteau (played by Nigel Hawthorne), as thanks for saving him from Simon Phoenix (Wesley Snipes), the criminal Spartan was awoken from cryogenic sleep to apprehend.

Taco Bell is an integral part of Demolition Man's legacy in the U.S., but in European markets, it was replaced by Pizza Hut. Both companies were owned by PepsiCo at the time. Conventional wisdom holds that Pizza Hut became the Franchise Wars winner in Europe because it had a greater international presence.

References to Pizza Hut were added to Demolition Man in post-production. That includes everything from logos to actual dialogue from Stallone and Bullock dubbed in during their drive to dinner. Clips of the "Pizza Hut Cut", in all its awkward glory, can be found on YouTube.
And weirdly I walked past the only Taco Bell I've ever seen in Poole yesterday.

You could be doing both worse and better things in Poole.  :ph34r:

Is the high street still very Meh?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Whatever Walmart or Amazon decides to name it's restaurant.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Agelastus

Taco Bell - in honour of Demolition Man, not because I believe they will be the last one standing though.

[After all, that film implies that Taco Bell has replaced everything - even whatever the American equivalent is of the local Chippy.]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

crazy canuck

I only know about Taco Bell because of Languish.  They are probably in Vancouver somewhere.

Now A+W, Five Guys and Wendy's - we have those around here.  The Pizza Hut went out of business about a decade ago.

fromtia

Judge Dredd , while crossing the atomic wastelands to deliver a vaccine to the west coast got involved in a war between Burger king and McDonalds. Prophetic! I read this when I was a kid....

https://usso.uk/judge-dredds-burger-wars-intellectual-property-self-censorship-and-new-exceptions/
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".