German Federal Election 2021 - Who will succeed Angela Merkel?

Started by Zanza, April 19, 2021, 10:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The top candidates of the seven parties in the current parliament

4 (12.1%)
17 (51.5%)
4 (12.1%)
3 (9.1%)
2 (6.1%)
2 (6.1%)
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Sheilbh

I did the test (thanks Google!) and the Languish consensus continues :lol:
QuoteGreens - 84.2%
The Left - 81.6%
SPD - 65.8%
FDP - 40.8%
CDU/CSU - 35.5%
AfD - 23.7%
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

QuoteAFD - 68.6%
FDP - 58.1%
SPD - 57.0%
CDU/CSU - 57.0%
Greens - 45.3%
The Left - 38.4%

Looking at the full list The Left was my lowest level of agreement of all the Parties - but apparently I, as an agnostic leaning towards atheism, have the highest level of policy agreement with the Alliance C; a party that Google Translate for the page lists as being founded by two "Christian Fundamentalist" parties. (74.4%, apparently.)

Looks like I would be an FDP or CDU/CSU voter if I was German.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

I think there was a lot of interpretation going on in my answers. Some stuff was asking things like do you support a fixed fee for hospital treatment- my natural response writing in reply to that is fuck no, it should be free.... But I suspect its actually coming from a place of prices should be increased.
Not the best quiz I say.
But come on the greens!
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on September 02, 2021, 07:03:54 AM
I think there was a lot of interpretation going on in my answers. Some stuff was asking things like do you support a fixed fee for hospital treatment- my natural response writing in reply to that is fuck no, it should be free.... But I suspect its actually coming from a place of prices should be increased.
Not the best quiz I say.
But come on the greens!

IIRC the question revolves around whether there should be, based on type of case, fixed fees (as it is now), or should the hospitals bill the insurances based on actual expenses. The latter might increase quality of health care, but could also raise costs of health care.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Agelastus on September 02, 2021, 07:03:33 AMLooks like I would be an FDP or CDU/CSU voter if I was German.

QuoteAFD - 68.6%
FDP - 58.1%
CDU/CSU - 57.0%

:hmm:

Agelastus

Quote from: The Larch on September 02, 2021, 07:17:29 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on September 02, 2021, 07:03:33 AMLooks like I would be an FDP or CDU/CSU voter if I was German.

QuoteAFD - 68.6%
FDP - 58.1%
CDU/CSU - 57.0%

:hmm:

I am assuming/roleplaying based on my own background of being raised in a Western Bloc country that I would be a former West German rather than a former East German (so further away from the AfD's heartlands), and that my hypothetical German counterpart shares my dislike of some of their extremism and also my dislike of a wasted vote (although this last part would be less of an argument given the mixed nature of German elections, I know.)

Besides, I note that Sheilbh has a 60% spread across his parties whereas mine is only 40%...

And finally, I remember doing a manifesto comparison for a British election years ago that split results into policy areas; in two of those areas I was most aligned with the BNP...education and defense IIRC. Probably in the case of education because I support Grammar Schools believing them to be beneficial for social mobility. Doesn't mean I would ever have voted for the BNP.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on September 02, 2021, 07:38:22 AM
Besides, I note that Sheilbh has a 60% spread across his parties whereas mine is only 40%...
I am nothing if not extreme :P

QuoteAnd finally, I remember doing a manifesto comparison for a British election years ago that split results into policy areas; in two of those areas I was most aligned with the BNP...education and defense IIRC. Probably in the case of education because I support Grammar Schools believing them to be beneficial for social mobility. Doesn't mean I would ever have voted for the BNP.
Yeah - I didn't weight anything and skipped a few questions that were just a little bit too domestic (e.g. the hospital charging).

But this is why I always like you posting - it's outside the Languish consensus :)

Separately I'm surprised how few European questions there are.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Agelastus on September 02, 2021, 07:38:22 AM

No one needs to comment that I apparently can't do basic Math these days.

My spread was 30% (roughly) between the main six parties.  :Embarrass:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Zanza

QuoteDIE LINKE 73,7 %
GRÜNE 73,7 %
SPD 71,1 %
FDP 59,2 %
CDU / CSU 46,1 %
AfD 34,2 %

There was no "killer question" e.g. on NATO membership or some other foreign policy issue that would have eliminated the Left Party, but in reality I would never vote for them.

In the past, I usually got FDP on top and also often voted for them. Interesting that they are not in my top group anymore.

But these days I am indeed more aligned with SPD or Grüne and will likely vote for one of them

celedhring

Greens - 81.4
Die Linke - 81.4
SPD - 69.8
CDU/CSU - 43
FDP - 43
AfD - 30.2

I suppose that if I was a German I'd vote the Greens. So this jives well with me.

Maladict

I may have misunderstood some of the German, but the results seem plausible enough.

Gruenen - 82%
Linke - 76%
SPD - 71%
FDP - 44%
CDU/CSU - 44%
AfD - 27%

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on September 02, 2021, 08:36:14 AM
In the past, I usually got FDP on top and also often voted for them. Interesting that they are not in my top group anymore.

But these days I am indeed more aligned with SPD or Grüne and will likely vote for one of them
Out of interest do you think that's more you shifting view or them shifting where they are politically?

Edit: Incidentally with Syt's poll post and the coalition preference polls I find it interesting how Germany, perhaps like the UK, is maybe voting on parties in theory but actually quite presidential in the rating of party leaders as potential Chancellor/PM seems very, very important (I think - and this could be nonsense - that in the UK, between elections, the leadership polls are a better predictor of the next election, than the party polls).
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

QuoteFDP - 69.6%
BP - 68.5%
CDU/CSU - 59.8%
Gruenen - 43.5%
Linke - 42.4%
SPD - 41.3%

I am: completely unsurprised by my results. Also, I tossed the AfD from the comparison and added in a party more suitable to my interests.  :sleep:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 02, 2021, 11:43:49 AM
Edit: Incidentally with Syt's poll post and the coalition preference polls I find it interesting how Germany, perhaps like the UK, is maybe voting on parties in theory but actually quite presidential in the rating of party leaders as potential Chancellor/PM seems very, very important (I think - and this could be nonsense - that in the UK, between elections, the leadership polls are a better predictor of the next election, than the party polls).

I think it may be because Germany as opposed to UK has a proportional system of voting, where parties are represented based on numbers of votes, as opposed to first past the post (technically, Germany has a mix of proprtionality and FPTP, but the former determined number of seats in total).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on September 02, 2021, 12:17:09 PM
I think it may be because Germany as opposed to UK has a proportional system of voting, where parties are represented based on numbers of votes, as opposed to first past the post (technically, Germany has a mix of proprtionality and FPTP, but the former determined number of seats in total).
Yeah. I mean more the flirting with the Greens and now the move to the SPD seems motivated by people not really rating Laschet and that's reflected in the coalition preference poll as well.

In theory we're both parliamentary democracies where you're meant to vote for the party you like best (or who you think will be the best local representative). But in practice it seems like the Chancellor-candidate is a really big factor in this election (and perhaps it's always been that way). Similarly in 2010-15 Labour were quite often ahead in the polls but people vastly preferred Cameron to Miliband which is what came to matter most in 2015 (same in 1992 and even some of the early 00s New Labour elections). It's a parliamentary democracy but people maybe vote like it's presidential?
Let's bomb Russia!