German Federal Election 2021 - Who will succeed Angela Merkel?

Started by Zanza, April 19, 2021, 10:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The top candidates of the seven parties in the current parliament

4 (12.1%)
17 (51.5%)
4 (12.1%)
3 (9.1%)
2 (6.1%)
2 (6.1%)
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Zanza

Just watching the TV debate between Baerbock, Laschet and Scholz. Scholz is like Teflon, Laschet tumbles around, Baerbock is a bit boring.

EDIT: Baerbock is destroying Laschet. Scholz is just doing a Merkel...

Zanza

Trend at INSA is clearly towards the SPD now. Let's see if this keeps up as the recent trend change was also fairly recent and sudden.

Right now, there is no obvious way to power for the SPD though as Left Party seems not compatible on foreign policy and Liberals say they don't want a traffic light.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

"-The following remain in the room. Riesling, Walker, Smirnoff, and Häagen-Dazs."
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

:lol:

I feel she's looking forward to the election. :D

(I also feel that if she were to run again, she's win quite handily.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

I am reminded of what Thomas Jefferson wrote on the eve of James Madison being sworn into office:

"Never did a prisoner, released from his chains, feel such relief as I shall on shaking off the shackles of power."

Though I am not sure exactly when Merkel's release day is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

:lol: There was also Theresa May at a cricket match the day after she was replaced as PM and just became a backbencher:
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

No one is sure. She will stay in office until parliament elects her successor. Could be days, weeks or months. Let's see if a coalition can be formed after the election.

Syt

"If the chancellor was elected directly, who would you vote for?" Change from 19th August => 31st August (after the first TV debate between Baerbock, Scholz, Laschet)
(The rightmost option is "none of these.")
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 29, 2021, 09:50:09 AM
:ph34r:

More generally, I am fascinated by the Green and *checks notes* FDP radicalisation of younger voters :blink:

Just a reminder that about 57% of people eligible to vote will be over 50 years old, and about 70% over 40. Young people are a small part of the spectrum and have (so far) had a lower voting rate than older voters.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

So, I did the Wahl-O-Mat, in which you answer a series of yes/no policy questions, and can add additional weight to some of them.

Anyways, this is my result.  :hmm:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

I decided to have a look for shits and giggles. Are these actually political issues in Germany? Some seem really nitpicky like the gender stuff.

:cheers:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on September 02, 2021, 05:53:45 AM
I decided to have a look for shits and giggles. Are these actually political issues in Germany? Some seem really nitpicky like the gender stuff.

It keeps coming up. Bürgermeister (mayor) is male, Bürgermeisterin is female, and the plural is Bürgermeister (i.e. only male mayors, or male and female mayors), whereas Bürgermeisterinnen means female mayors only. There's various ways to get around it, e.g. list both (Bürgermeister oder Bürgermeisterin, as e.g. law texts in my home state often do) or BürgermeisterIn, or Bürgermeister*in etc. The state of Saxony has now banned cases like the last two from schools. Culture wars don't generally run deep in Germany (yet), but attempts at finding a more gender neutral language are hotly contested.

I don't mind these attempts, but I also think there's bigger fish to fry.
—Stephen Jay Gould