What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 10, 2024, 03:25:57 PMBut Herman Cain lost

Actually he didn't - he withdrew after allegations of sexual harassment (which now seems so quaint after the GOP has nominated Trump three times in a row).  He had been doing very well in the polls up to that point.

Unless you mean that he lost at life - since Trump killed him by making him come to an open air Trump rally in 2020 where no one was masked.  He caught Covid and died.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on June 10, 2024, 03:50:24 PM

Actually he didn't - he withdrew after allegations of sexual harassment (which now seems so quaint after the GOP has nominated Trump three times in a row).  He had been doing very well in the polls up to that point.

'

He withdrew after his poll numbers took a dive, in the wake of a number of issues, including the harassment allegations.  He is one of many examples of early primary boomlets for "fresh" unknowns that fold once people actually start looking on the bona fides.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 10, 2024, 04:16:30 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 10, 2024, 03:50:24 PM

'

He withdrew after his poll numbers took a dive, in the wake of a number of issues, including the harassment allegations.  He is one of many examples of early primary boomlets for "fresh" unknowns that fold once people actually start looking on the bona fides.

But it wasn't his "blackness" that caused any fall - it was pretty obvious he was black from day one.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2024, 11:33:01 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2024, 11:09:58 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2024, 10:46:00 AMWell, that was happened.

What was happened?
Hunter Biden was convicted.

Oh.

So long as Joe doesn't do something stupid like pardon him, shouldn't be a big deal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2024, 11:33:41 AMOh.

So long as Joe doesn't do something stupid like pardon him, shouldn't be a big deal.

Yeah, the guilty verdict is utterly unsurprising, given that he had already pretty much admitted his guilt and his defense seems to have been, "he didn't think that he was an addict when he bought the gun."

It will be interesting to see what the judge thinks are similar crimes when considering sentencing, given that, from what all the legal beagles I have read have said, this is the first time that federal charges have been brought simply for lying on the form.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Under the federal sentencing guidelines, the offense level would be 12.  However, if it is found that he bought the gun for "lawful sporting purposes" or "collection" and never discharged it, it would be reduced to 6.

I know he had a drug problem, but was he ever convicted of any prior offenses?  If not, his criminal history would be category I.  In that case, if the offense level is 12, the recommended sentence would be 10-16 months.  If he got the 6-level deduction, it would be 0-6 months and eligible for a probationary sentence.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

I was a bit surprised he didn't just plead guilty and argue for the lowest possible sentence in the circumstances, which could have been a rather gentle reprimand.

How does the fact he forced a trial figure into the sentencing analysis of the court?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2024, 01:28:19 PMI was a bit surprised he didn't just plead guilty and argue for the lowest possible sentence in the circumstances, which could have been a rather gentle reprimand.

How does the fact he forced a trial figure into the sentencing analysis of the court?

As I understand it - there was a plea deal in place - for this and something else.

The deal worked out said it would cover any criminal acts done by Hunter Biden during this time period.  The judge asked about this, the prosecution said that wasn't the intent, the plea deal then collapsed and it went to trial.

This has always been the thing about Hunter Biden - he's always seemed like a shady dude.  Him being on the board of the Ukrainian energy company clearly seemed to be at a minimum trading on his name.  So who knows what else might come up in the future?

But on the other hand he's attracted way more scrutiny just because of his name also, so you can understand why HB's attorneys were looking a way to just finally close all of his legal troubles.

Valmy

Sure. But this is some pretty insignificant shit. Like any average middle class junkie might have done this.

Hunter Biden is just some average low life? Or does he have some big corruption thing going or something significant?