News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2024, 11:59:11 AMOld people sometimes really hate admitting they're old.

I guess that is the Occam's Razor reason. Work out your mortality issues some other way Joe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on July 08, 2024, 11:59:11 AMOld people sometimes really hate admitting they're old.

I was talking with a summer student here at the office.  Very nice kid, seemed very smart and capable.

Anyways near the end she said something about how I was "very senior" in the office and while I just smiled, on the inside I was thinking "fuck you - you just called me old".   :Embarrass:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

In my experience old people readily admit they are old.  But there is reluctance to admit they have lost a step or two. There is even more reluctance to admit they are no longer able to do the job.  Add to that the reluctance of a politician to give up power.

In this circumstance that is where the party needs to step in to tell Biden the decision is no longer his own.

Valmy

I mean sure we feel old in our 40s but Joe Biden was our age when he ran for President in 1988.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2024, 12:19:30 PM

I was talking with a summer student here at the office.  Very nice kid, seemed very smart and capable.

Anyways near the end she said something about how I was "very senior" in the office and while I just smiled, on the inside I was thinking "fuck you - you just called me old".   :Embarrass:

We've been arguing about nonsense on these message boards longer than some kids we work with have been alive.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2024, 11:42:03 AMSo it seems increasingly likely that Joe Biden is just doubling down on running for President and trying to shut down any criticism that he might be too old.

May Heaven help us all.
He might be too old, or he might have early signs of dementia too.

And that would explain why he's so stubborn about admitting it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 08, 2024, 12:32:12 PMIn this circumstance that is where the party needs to step in to tell Biden the decision is no longer his own.
It's a little late for that, though.

Because the decision really is his own.  No one can force him to leave. 

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on July 08, 2024, 02:41:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2024, 11:42:03 AMSo it seems increasingly likely that Joe Biden is just doubling down on running for President and trying to shut down any criticism that he might be too old.

May Heaven help us all.
He might be too old, or he might have early signs of dementia too.

And that would explain why he's so stubborn about admitting it.

I mean it's a very understandable reaction.  I can think of my grandma who really resisted giving up her driving license.  It's one thing to admit to being old - it's an whole other thing to admit to being incapable of doing things you used to do.

But while I can personally understand what Biden is going through... fuck it the whole world is at stake.  And remember this is coming from a self-professed hard-right-winger who doesn't really agree with Biden on many policy issues.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2024, 02:56:25 PMBut while I can personally understand what Biden is going through... fuck it the whole world is at stake.  And remember this is coming from a self-professed hard-right-winger who doesn't really agree with Biden on many policy issues.
I totally understand.

I'm just seeing things from his pov.

Either he's very narcissistic or there's something more than simply old age.

Jacob

Is it a given that having someone else step will improve things?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on July 08, 2024, 03:09:50 PMIs it a given that having someone else step will improve things?

A given?  Absolutely not.

But in terms of popular vote Donald Trump lost it in both 2016 and 2020.  Polling has him in a small but comfortable lead in 2024.  You have to think that someone else would at least shake things up.  Even Kamala Harris - who I said I like even less than I do Joe Biden.

Sheilbh

They'd also at the very least be campaigning or able to campaign more actively.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 08, 2024, 03:17:54 PMThey'd also at the very least be campaigning or able to campaign more actively.

True, but...

Trump is basically no campaigning at this point.  He's doing hardly any events, just golfing.

As mentioned - he's still in the lead.

I'm not quite sure how much retail campaigning matters these days.

But that being said - a candidate who isn't in their 80s might be a huge advantage...

Caliga

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 08, 2024, 03:17:54 PMThey'd also at the very least be campaigning or able to campaign more actively.
Biden has been campaigning.  He continues to make gaffes at nearly every event though. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PJL

Perhaps the best thing Biden should do would be to stop campaigning then? It kinda worked in 2020 when Covid forced them to stop.