And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Josephus on November 04, 2020, 01:15:00 PM
Trump's latest tweet:

They are finding Biden votes all over the place — in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan. So bad for our Country!

What a loser.  I don't think he's intentionally trying to destabilize our democracy like some people probably do, but he's just not capable of shutting up and waiting for the outcome without mouthing off.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Personally, I hope every state where Trump demands a recount *increases* the margin on recount. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 04, 2020, 01:16:14 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2020, 01:08:19 PM
And AZ is down to 68 cents.  Ugh.

What was it on Monday?
It was 50 cents on Monday, but on Monday we needed AZ a hell of a lot less than we do today.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on November 04, 2020, 01:21:08 PM
Personally, I hope every state where Trump demands a recount *increases* the margin on recount. :P
*shrug* If without the recount you'll definitely lose, you have nothing to lose if you ask for one (other than I guess some dignity, which Trump has none of that anyway).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2020, 10:56:35 AM
The AP called Arizona for Biden before midnight last night and haven't budged from their call since. :hmm:

IIRC AP never called Florida from 2000, a sort of point of principle on their part.

Or am I confusing them with AFP?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2020, 01:19:32 PMWhat a loser.  I don't think he's intentionally trying to destabilize our democracy like some people probably do, but he's just not capable of shutting up and waiting for the outcome without mouthing off.
I feel like it might not be intentional. But if you have a leader who is psychologically incapable of losing, I think that will probably be inevitably, inherently destabilising.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

It's interesting that at work, my UK colleagues are far more interested in our election than my American (mostly pretty young) colleagues.  I gave one coworker a 15-minute breakdown/American civics lesson of how the Electoral College works and other generalities of the US political system (all while working very hard to self-enforce my strict adherence to nonpartisanship in the workplace political discussion).

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 04, 2020, 01:31:48 PM
It's interesting that at work, my UK colleagues are far more interested in our election than my American (mostly pretty young) colleagues.  I gave one coworker a 15-minute breakdown/American civics lesson of how the Electoral College works and other generalities of the US political system (all while working very hard to self-enforce my strict adherence to nonpartisanship in the workplace political discussion).

Also, you Brits (in the military environment) seem to talk way more openly about religion/politics at work than is ever allowed by the decorum of the Stateside equivalents I have been in.  It is pretty taboo anywhere I've worked before (as it should be). 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2020, 12:33:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2020, 12:30:26 PM
I read that Maricopa County went for Biden so much because the machines didn't read Sharpie marked ballots, so now they're recounted.  Is this just bullshit, or has this been confirmed somewhere?  I hope it's just a prank that PredictIt traders are buying.
From Googling, it sounds like bullshit, at least the part with the machines not picking it up.  Hopefully that explains the PredictIt movement.  Please, please, let it explain it.

I'm hearing that the sharpie votes were mistakenly sent to the Florida Panhandle and southern Alabama and got counted there.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 04, 2020, 01:33:49 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on November 04, 2020, 01:31:48 PM

Also, you Brits (in the military environment) seem to talk way more openly about religion/politics at work than is ever allowed by the decorum of the Stateside equivalents I have been in.  It is pretty taboo anywhere I've worked before (as it should be).

It's good for people to discuss such things outside their echo chambers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 04, 2020, 01:37:48 PM
It's good for people to discuss such things outside their echo chambers.
I often wondered myself whether this taboo is good for democracy.  On the one hand, you clearly want to avoid situations where people get at each others' throats in the workplace.  On the other hand, workplace is the one place where people of different political views are intermingling.  Maybe it would help keep the heat down if we had people discussing politics where there is some pressure to keep things civil.

Syt

People will comment on politics at work, but things are kept civil. I mean, my senior boss is very conservative, and I'm fairly liberal, but we work quite well together because we align generally quite well on work stuff.
—Stephen Jay Gould