Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on November 15, 2021, 01:48:09 AM
Yea, but our 7-day incidence is 848, while yours is 310 (though we do test a lot more, I believe). :P
Germany's test figures are extremely misleading as the lateral flow testing was privatized and there is little reporting beyond the payment weeks or months later.

Syt

Talked to our one vaccination hold out at the office just now. She thinks this disease will not go away (agreed) and the best way to get over it is if everyone gets antibodies (but not through vaccination, because too unsecure) as soon as possible. I pointed out that this would be problematic with current hospital capacities, but she thinks they "just need to be expanded per market demand."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 15, 2021, 06:33:32 AM
Talked to our one vaccination hold out at the office just now. She thinks this disease will not go away (agreed) and the best way to get over it is if everyone gets antibodies (but not through vaccination, because too unsecure) as soon as possible. I pointed out that this would be problematic with current hospital capacities, but she thinks they "just need to be expanded per market demand."

Well, that's settled then.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

So Jupiter, probably advised by Æsculapius, announced booster shots will be available to all, not just people > 65. People over 65 will need the booster shot to keep their health pass. Not sure about the others, but it could change if need be, if it's not compulsory yet.

Can't get mine before the end of December since I got my second shot in the end of June.

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 15, 2021, 09:46:28 AM
So Jupiter, probably advised by Æsculapius, announced booster shots will be available to all, not just people > 65. People over 65 will need the booster shot to keep their health pass. Not sure about the others, but it could change if need be, if it's not compulsory yet.

Can't get mine before the end of December since I got my second shot in the end of June.

Vienna opened the 3rd shot for all after 4 months last weekend. I booked mine for early December, but I might go to a walk in vaccination site this weekend or next to see if I can get it sooner.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Finally the to-be government parties are discussing a vaccine mandate for certain professions (child/elderly care, hospitals...) and allowing employers to ask for the vaccination status of employees.

ulmont

Quote from: Syt on November 15, 2021, 06:33:32 AM
I pointed out that this would be problematic with current hospital capacities, but she thinks they "just need to be expanded per market demand."

It turns out that for a lot of the rural United States outside the "market demand" is "close these hospitals, they lose money."

Syt

FPÖ chairman Herbert Kickl, antivaxxer extraordinaire (a few weeks ago he held a press conference to dispel nasty rumors that he was vaccinated, presenting a doctor's testimony based on a blood sample) has caught Covid, so Twitter:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Quote from: Tyr on November 15, 2021, 06:46:59 AM
Ah leave it to the market thinking :bleeding:

....and if that doesn't work, then the only reason is because your free market isn't free enough!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quick show of hands: who here is masking at work and who is not?

HVC

Masking in shared space, no mask in my office (unless someone is in there with me). Also filling out a online questionnaire every morning.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on November 09, 2021, 07:30:16 PM
Amusing (if you're not involved) tales of China's hardcore approach... guy goes out with a GREEN QR code does whatever he has to do. Gets on a bus. Oh no, somewhere along the way his QR code has changed to RED. The entire bus, and everyone on it, drives directly to a quarantine station where they will be confined for two weeks.

Apparently the government is also breaking into the apartments of the quarantined to disinfect them. Disinfecting also means kills pets by beating them to death.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2021, 04:28:25 PM
Quick show of hands: who here is masking at work and who is not?
I'm required to wear a mask in the common areas of the office building, outside of our office.  Everyone also wears masks in conference rooms, so I do as well.  Other than that, I'm unmasked at work.

Barrister

Masked everywhere unless alone in my office.

The one areas where I'm a mask "outlaw" is in kid's hockey.  Officially masks are not required by law (we're a participant in a sporting activity) but are recommended by the local club.  I don't wear one though when I'm on the ice: either my glasses fog up so I can't see, or I take my glasses off and I can't see.  But either way I can't see anything.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.