Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Jacob on November 05, 2021, 09:12:59 PM
China has covid QR codes. If you spend 10 minutes within 800 metres (basically half a mile, for our American friends) of someone who tested positive, your QR code turns yellow and you can't do... much...

I imagine that's a problem that's arisen after switching strategies.

If you are following a strict Covid 0 strat, you will have so few instances of contagion it makes sense to confine entire city blocks and process all those people quickly, rather than face a city or country-wide quarantine and the associated economic effects.

If you are not following a covid 0 strat any longer though, 800 meters is just bonkers.

Sheilbh

The shift for countries that successfully pursued covd zero to adapting to a world where covid is endemic is going to be really difficult. Especially in China were at least one of the vaccines appears to be significantly less effective than western vaccines.

There will be minimal natural immunity and even with vaccines there will be deaths, probably far more than those countries have experienced so far. I think it's going to be quite traumatic for people.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on November 05, 2021, 09:12:59 PM
In support of Dorsey's point that overly restrictive Covid policies are counter productive...

China has covid QR codes. If you spend 10 minutes within 800 metres (basically half a mile, for our American friends) of someone who tested positive, your QR code turns yellow and you can't do... much... basically, you're not supposed to go out and do things. It's a bit heavy handed and unreasonable for most people's taste. So what's happening is that people leave their phones at home when they go out, turn their phones off or switch on airplane mode, pay with cash instead of Union Pay and so on. Because if you get tagged with the yellow QR code, it sucks, so better not get it.

In

Interesting.
China, formerly so much more ahead of most of the world in digital payments, has backtracked significantly going back to the 90s whilst for the same reasons af the same time things have progressed a lot in many other countries.

I've heard many stories of Chinese people not knowing how to handle physical money anymore and definitely I remember mildly annoying a shop keeper by  paying in cash. Would make for an interesting study.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Feeling somewhat guilty for having just book my booster jab for a couple of weeks time, whilst half the world hasn't received their first.

I probably need it to visit my elderly mother, as she's not now 'capable' of having the booster so will be rather vulnerable.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on November 06, 2021, 08:55:59 PM
Feeling somewhat guilty for having just book my booster jab for a couple of weeks time, whilst half the world hasn't received their first.

I probably need it to visit my elderly mother, as she's not now 'capable' of having the booster so will be rather vulnerable.

Look at shitholes like Bulgaria, or Russia. If there is no ability and or willingness of both the state and its citizens to have the vaccines uptaken, availability doesn't matter.

Iormlund

Quote from: mongers on November 06, 2021, 08:55:59 PM

We've vaccinated around 80% of the population and still have 30k expired doses in Aragón alone (pop ~1million). There's no need to feel guilty.

Syt

With restaurants closing for the unvaccinated on Monday, there were long queues in front of many walk in vaccination stations in Austria yesterday. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

As there is now a close to 100% likelihood to eventually get infected with Covid, the statement that children are not at risk is preposterous when a small share gets Long Covid. The risk of the vaccine is almost certainly lower. It's a huge failure by European regulators not to allow the vaccine for young children yet.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on November 07, 2021, 07:14:08 AM
With restaurants closing for the unvaccinated on Monday, there were long queues in front of many walk in vaccination stations in Austria yesterday. :lol:

Happened over here as well.  :D

DGuller

I sure hope that 5-year-olds make their medical decisions based on solid data and facts rather than some tweets by a bird.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on November 07, 2021, 12:49:03 PM
I sure hope that 5-year-olds make their medical decisions based on solid data and facts rather than some tweets by a bird.

What? You haven't heard?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Sure - they make them on the basis of tiktoks :)
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 07, 2021, 12:53:19 PM
Sure - they make them on the basis of tiktoks :)
:bleeding: Climate change or not, our future is fucked.  :(