Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Well fuck. And here I thought Bulgarians were smart. I guess it's one way to sort a screwed up population pyramid?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

It's really bad - and Romania and Bulgaria should have easy access to vaccines. But similarly it's like the under-covered catastrophe in Latin America (especially the Peru figure :o) in excess mortality and why we need to be getting everyone vaccinated globally now :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Ok, I don't get how Peru's number is 3x Bulgaria in the first chart and virtually identical in the second.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Current travel restrictions for non-vaccinated, non-tested people:

Vienna and Upper Austria will likely tighten restrictions again. Over 8500 new infections today. I've grown comfy going to the café on Friday mornings, but I will take a break from that again, considering that staff there (or anywhere in Austria, really) don't check passes beside a cursory glance that you're showing them a QR code, so enforcement of the current rules remains lax.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

I'm a bit confused, to be honest, because Ex-Chancellor declared the pandemic to be "over" that it had been "mastered" multiple times. :hmm:
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on November 04, 2021, 04:45:16 AM

Woops, one of those places is where the family of my sis in law is from. :unsure:  So non vaccinated & non tested people can't go to those places or leave them?

Syt

Basically. Usually there's exceptions for commuters and such.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

My state is at the first lockdown level now due to high and fast-rising hospitalisation rate.

That means you need a PCR test less than 48h for most indoor activities like restaurants if you are unvaccinated. Tests are no longer free either, so it gets expensive fast.

Supposedly there is now again high demand for vaccinations whenever they are offered in easily accessible ways, e.g. on public places without prior appointment.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on November 04, 2021, 09:58:56 AM
My state is at the first lockdown level now due to high and fast-rising hospitalisation rate.

That means you need a PCR test less than 48h for most indoor activities like restaurants if you are unvaccinated. Tests are no longer free either, so it gets expensive fast.

Supposedly there is now again high demand for vaccinations whenever they are offered in easily accessible ways, e.g. on public places without prior appointment.

Unsurprisingly, that is what happened in France with the passe sanitaire.

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 03, 2021, 09:14:05 PM
Ok, I don't get how Peru's number is 3x Bulgaria in the first chart and virtually identical in the second.
Bulgaria has 7 millions souls.  Peru has 33 millions.

The first chart is the number of excess deaths, in %, relative to the historical average for the same period.  Peru has twice the number of deaths it usually has.

The other is the total number of people who died, in excess, per million.  Peru has about 200 000 total deaths compared to 25 000 for Bulgaria.  It's really the figure per million that changes the proportions.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on November 04, 2021, 04:49:30 AM
I'm a bit confused, to be honest, because Ex-Chancellor declared the pandemic to be "over" that it had been "mastered" multiple times. :hmm:
It's like the Iraq war, it was won multiple times while the GOP was in power.  They only lost after Obama was elected.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

There's an element of 'Oh look over there, at that', in this, parts of Eastern Europe may be in a terrible situation, but that doesn't absolve our own political leadership from their delusions and missteps.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Vienna changes rules next week Friday. Restaurants and places like hardressers will only be open for vaccinated and people who have recovered from infection.

Not sure how effective that will be. Went for breakfast at the corner café and they don't even ask for any proof of vaccination or testing any more.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Quote from: Syt on November 05, 2021, 07:03:21 AM
Vienna changes rules next week Friday. Restaurants and places like hardressers will only be open for vaccinated and people who have recovered from infection.

Not sure how effective that will be. Went for breakfast at the corner café and they don't even ask for any proof of vaccination or testing any more.

Yes, hard to say.

Maybe as Shelf would say, this is more about nudging people into getting vaccinated?

edit:
Oddly my laptop keyboard stopped working whilst typing that, so I had to reboot the machine; maybe it's equivalent of a vogon's intestine self-sacrificing into to save the 'listeners'?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"