Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Romania has gotten so bad it has broken out of the rules of map making and became black :o
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Is this still a thing? *

* for well paid Westerners only.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on November 01, 2021, 07:02:28 AM
Is this still a thing? *

At least three people at my work have come down with it and taking time off work. 2 more apparently not working as they have the flu.  As far as I know though only one who is any real danger.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

A vaccinated colleague has caught it, lost her sense of smell and taste. But a bunch of people who were with her at the office have to go get tested (I'm not in that group, but did get PCR tested myself this morning because I need to go to the office tomorrow; just what you like to do at 7 am on a public holiday ...).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

My assistant is back at work today after being gone for 2 weeks with Covid.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

There are now 7 infections at my father in law's long term care home 4 residents and 3 staff.  All are fully vaccinated.  The good news is they all have fairly mild symptoms and none had to be hospitalized.

Zanza

Quote from: mongers on November 01, 2021, 07:02:28 AM
Is this still a thing? *

Yes. Both anecdotal, but also statistically. As there will be great hesitancy about another lockdown, this winter might be worse than the last.  :ph34r:

Syt

7 day incidence in Austria by age group and vaccination status.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Ich bin vollstandig geimpft.  :showoff:

"Geimpft."  What a word.

Josquius

Lately I've heard of a few people at 2 or 3 degrees of seperation getting it. Only one seems to have got it bad, my neighbours unvaccinated son. For most, it seems to have just been a pita disrupting their life, meaning they had to cancel trips et al, otherwise being oblivious if they hadn't had to take a test.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

I wonder how much of the difference between vaccinated and unvaccinated persons as shown in Syt's graph is due to the effect of the vaccine versus unvaccinated persons just being idiots and thus having a higher risk of exposure.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zanza on October 28, 2021, 05:22:11 AM

However, I read that the difference between measles and Sars-Cov2 is that the former can be effectively managed with herd immunity, the latter cannot as it will become endemic like influenza.

This doesn't make sense. If the population was as vaccinated against Covid as it was against Measles then Covid would be more effectively managed. This is obviously true since Measles is still 2-3 times as transmissible as Covid.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

I agree with you but that was the argument I read. Can't remember the finer details.