Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

New record in daily cases, with 13,152. 48 deaths since yesterday.

Salzburg has an incidence (7-day # of cases per 100k) of over 1200 (Austria as a whole: 815).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on November 12, 2021, 04:35:45 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 12, 2021, 02:18:57 AM
The really frustrating bit is that it's a repeat of last year. All summer the politicians say that the worst is over, things are fine now, and no need for any measures while the experts urge action to prevent the Fall spike.

When the spike actually happens, the politicians act all surprised and say there was no way to predict it and even the experts didn't see it coming.

As usual, I don't expect political consequences out of this.

It's weird for me how seemingly nowhere in the world bad management of the pandemic is having political consequences.
Trump would have won big if not for his mismanagement of the pandemic.

Good article on where things are from the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/12/covid-cases-surging-europe-america-denial
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Even if he'd managed it well, the economic numbers keeping him afloat would have softened.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

:bleeding:
Their projection grows tiresome. Interesting that they've really latched onto the cult one lately.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Projection is the default Russian propaganda strategy.  You can figure out what the Russians are guilty of by just listening what they accuse others of doing.

Syt

Experts already say that a lockdown for the unvaccinated is unlikely to yield major results, especially since it will be hard to enforce. It may motivate some holdouts to get vaccinated, though.

However, it seems likely that unless the number of cases and people on ICU drops miraculously, we'll be heading back into full lockdown. The vaccinated people pissed at the prospect and blame a) antivaxxers and people who flaunt the rules and b) the government who did little to nothing to prevent this surge.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on November 14, 2021, 11:39:54 PM
Experts already say that a lockdown for the unvaccinated is unlikely to yield major results, especially since it will be hard to enforce. It may motivate some holdouts to get vaccinated, though.

However, it seems likely that unless the number of cases and people on ICU drops miraculously, we'll be heading back into full lockdown. The vaccinated people pissed at the prospect and blame a) antivaxxers and people who flaunt the rules and b) the government who did little to nothing to prevent this surge.
Same here.

Syt

Yea, but our 7-day incidence is 848, while yours is 310 (though we do test a lot more, I believe). :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Ours is 65, but climbing, too. For now no talk of bringing back restrictions, I think they are bidding their time and see if they can get away with doing nothing until after Christmas.

Syt

Quote from: Syt on November 15, 2021, 01:48:09 AM
(though we do test a lot more, I believe).

Turns out we do - Austria has ca. 300,000 - 400,000 tests per day, while Germany stands at about 3x the amount, while having 9-10x the population.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 15, 2021, 03:05:16 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 15, 2021, 01:48:09 AM
(though we do test a lot more, I believe).

Turns out we do - Austria has ca. 300,000 - 400,000 tests per day, while Germany stands at about 3x the amount, while having 9-10x the population.

I just checked positivity rate's and Austria's at 1.8%, but Germany's at 16%. That's... not good.

The Brain

Sweden is still fairly stable at a handful of deaths per day.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on November 14, 2021, 11:39:54 PMHowever, it seems likely that unless the number of cases and people on ICU drops miraculously, we'll be heading back into full lockdown.

Nationwide? I already have plane tickets for Christmas... :unsure: