Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on September 28, 2020, 07:28:58 AM
In Spanish physical exertion is pretty much a requirement for something being a sport. "Hacer deporte" means both to practice a sport and to just exercise, without any kind of competitive element.

Might be different for anglos.

Same in German. "Sport machen" (literally "make sports") means to physically exercise.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on September 28, 2020, 07:30:14 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 28, 2020, 07:28:58 AM
In Spanish physical exertion is pretty much a requirement for something being a sport. "Hacer deporte" means both to practice a sport and to just exercise, without any kind of competitive element.

Might be different for anglos.

Same in German. "Sport machen" (literally "make sports") means to physically exercise.
I think in English the word is more associated with rules, almost ethics and way of behaving than exercise necessarily: to be sporting, to display sportsmanship, to be a good sport. Also hence the development of "sports" such as darts, snooker, pool, lawn bowls or even modern things like e-sports.

Interesting that the contrast to sportsmanship is probably gamesmanship which is taking advantage of rules to gain an unfair advantage, to almost go against the spirit of the "sport", or gaming the system. Which is maybe why I kind of resist darts or snooker being games - games are more casual, less serious and don't have that sort of almost ethical component.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 28, 2020, 08:36:11 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 28, 2020, 07:29:23 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 28, 2020, 07:14:24 AM
If someone wants to cheat at it to win, than it's sport.

Exams?

You don't win exams.  :hmm:

Yet there are competitive exams or examinations, not exams stricto sensu.
(examens et concours).

Barrister

I think for something to be a sport it has to involve some level of physical skill.  So darts, or pool, (or curling or golf), may not get you all hot and sweaty, but definitely require skill.  That is distinct from card games like poker, or chess, which are purely mental.

E-sports are kind of on the edge, but thinking about them they do require skill so I guess they count after all.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2020, 11:04:25 AM
I think for something to be a sport it has to involve some level of physical skill.  So darts, or pool, (or curling or golf), may not get you all hot and sweaty, but definitely require skill.  That is distinct from card games like poker, or chess, which are purely mental.

E-sports are kind of on the edge, but thinking about them they do require skill so I guess they count after all.

I am not sure you can separate something that is mentally demanding from the physical realm so easily.

For example, if you have played poker against a skilled player, the physical skills involved in the bluff are obvious after you know it was a bluff.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 28, 2020, 10:56:18 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 28, 2020, 08:36:11 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 28, 2020, 07:29:23 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 28, 2020, 07:14:24 AM
If someone wants to cheat at it to win, than it's sport.

Exams?

You don't win exams.  :hmm:

Yet there are competitive exams or examinations, not exams stricto sensu.
(examens et concours).

Then, sports!

I subscribe to Sheibh's theory that codifying[codified] rules is what makes a game a sport.

Also why for the British the advent of professionals was so contentious.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 28, 2020, 11:10:58 AM
For example, if you have played poker against a skilled player, the physical skills involved in the bluff are obvious after you know it was a bluff.
What are those physical skills?

Iormlund

Quote from: The Larch on September 28, 2020, 06:30:44 AM
For the same token, I'd say that "motor sports" are not really sports either.

What's wrong with motor sports? If you think they are not physically demanding I suggest a simple test. Strap on a heart rate monitor and go-kart with your friends for half an hour. Then tell me what your body thought of that.

Barrister

They're not my cup of tea, but motor sports are absolutely sports.  I understand it's very physically demanding to be behind the wheel.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on September 28, 2020, 11:53:34 AM
They're not my cup of tea, but motor sports are absolutely sports.  I understand it's very physically demanding to be behind the wheel.
You can make a distinction between sports that require physical fitness in order to perform at your peak, and sports where performance directly depends on physical attributes.  In the first category, most everyone can get fit enough to the point that it's no longer a factor in performance.  In the second category, you may just be out of luck if you didn't win the genetic lottery.  Motorsports is probably somewhere in the middle; some physical demands are merely fitness-related, but then things like reaction times and spatial awareness you're born with.  Poker and chess are probably solidly in the first category.

The Larch

My beef with motor sports (besides the fact that they're atrociously boring) is that success many times is far too dependent on the mechanical side rather than in the skill side. Gear will always have an effect, but in this case it's way too much. I believe some competitions make participants all use the same kind of vehicle, I see that as much more egalitarian, so to speak. I know they require a level of physical skill, fitness and extertion, but I doubt it's a real deal-breaker for success (setting myself up for failure here  :P).

Grey Fox

I will keep ignoring the Cycling lover hatred for motorsports. I will keep ignoring the Cycling lover hatred for motorsports.I will keep ignoring the Cycling lover hatred for motorsports.I will keep ignoring the Cycling lover hatred for motorsports.I will keep ignoring the Cycling lover hatred for motorsports.