Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 28, 2020, 06:24:49 AMI mean I call snooker and darts sports :P

What about chess?  :P

IMO, all of those are more "games" than "sports", but I'll not be dying on that hill.

For the same token, I'd say that "motor sports" are not really sports either.

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 28, 2020, 06:24:49 AMSadly as indoor sports they are more restricted. But I won't get into is it a sport or not (I know someone who thinks all sports have to be outdoors or they don't count/aren't really "sports), but if we're allowing 11 v 11 amateur football to go ahead - I'm not sure what the grounds for banning grouse shooting would be. It's a group of people rambling on moors shooting birds.

There are so many proper indoor sports that I wonder about the mental faculties of that acquitance of yours.

Tamas

Snooker and darts let us compete without anyone or anything getting intentionally hurt, so its sport.

Which means no, I don't think box is a sport. It is a highly demanding endeavour and I do have respect for those pursuing it, but it seems to defeat the point of sport that your sole aim is to disable your opponent via injuries inflicted. Call it martial arts, I don't mind, but it is not a sport.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2020, 06:27:12 AM
I don't really get why killing living things for fun should get an exception.
But my point is rugby is allowed - two teams of 15 (plus staff and subs) in fairly close contact for 80 minutes. So my point is why, except for it mainly being enjoyed by poshoes and Scots, is grouse shooting different (and the Scots government made this change first to minimal coverage, England just followed). Same for, say, fly fishing - it doesn't seem like a risky activity.

QuoteFor the same token, I'd say that "motor sports" are not really sports either.
Agreed and are mind-numbingly dull :bleeding:

And I haven't worked out a way to justify this, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I acknowledge golf as a sport.

QuoteThere are so many proper indoor sports that I wonder about the mental faculties of that acquitance of yours.
:lol: I think he's mainly being provocative.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 28, 2020, 06:34:56 AM
But my point is rugby is allowed - two teams of 15 (plus staff and subs) in fairly close contact for 80 minutes. So my point is why, except for it mainly being enjoyed by poshoes and Scots, is grouse shooting different (and the Scots government made this change first to minimal coverage, England just followed). Same for, say, fly fishing - it doesn't seem like a risky activity.

I guess I'll state it again. I'm not sure why we need to make sure people can kill animals for fun during lockdowns. I'm also not sure why we need to allow it generally.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I liked Otto von Bismark's definition of sport as requiring a side to play defense.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 28, 2020, 06:34:56 AM
QuoteFor the same token, I'd say that "motor sports" are not really sports either.
Agreed and are mind-numbingly dull :bleeding:

And I haven't worked out a way to justify this, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I acknowledge golf as a sport.

Good call, golf isn't a sport either IMO, it's another kind of game. Either that or croquet is a sport as well.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2020, 06:37:20 AM
I liked Otto von Bismark's definition of sport as requiring a side to play defense.

Bad definition, what about athletics?

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on September 28, 2020, 06:41:45 AM

Or even solo sports - what does playing defence mean in tennis for example?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on September 28, 2020, 06:41:45 AM

Good point.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 28, 2020, 06:48:27 AM

Bad point.  Defense is the efffort exerted by the opposition to prevent you from gaining your objective.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2020, 06:51:17 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 28, 2020, 06:48:27 AM

Bad point.  Defense is the efffort exerted by the opposition to prevent you from gaining your objective.

Well, tennis is all action-reaction, and participants clearly interact with each other competitively, so even if ofence-defence lines are blurry, it definitely qualifies.

Now that I think of it, what about archery? Or gymnastics? Equestrian events? Figure skating? Syncronized swimming?  :hmm:

Grey Fox

If someone wants to cheat at it to win, than it's sport.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 28, 2020, 07:14:24 AM
If someone wants to cheat at it to win, than it's sport.

People cheat at poker, it doesn't make it a sport.

celedhring

In Spanish physical exertion is pretty much a requirement for something being a sport. "Hacer deporte" means both to practice a sport and to just exercise, without any kind of competitive element.

Might be different for anglos.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.