Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: alfred russel on September 24, 2020, 02:31:34 PM
In involves Attila dictating orders:

"fight china"
"attack big government"

Definitely fits Genghis Khan more; one cannot help but wonder if this is another sign of a certain lack of education, or a simple fit of forgetfulness, in whoever came up with the Ad.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

So I think UK government has basically paused/cancelled its pilot program of getting fans back into sporting events.

But interesting comment from a French journalist that the France allows up to 5,000 people at any sporting events (subject to social distancing requirement etc - so it scales depending on the size of the stadium etc). That's been in place since the start of their season in late August. Despite France being the country with the most new cases in Europe, none have been linked to sporting events. The single biggest driver is offices. Which re-emphasises the point that outdoors is just so much safer than indoors. I think we're being a bit too "one size fits all" here and it might be worth looking at what things we can do outdoors - like getting some people back in stadiums - while stopping people going into work or indoor congregations of people.

I feel like we should all invest in some knitwear and good coats because socially it's going to be a winter of wrapping up and sitting outside. I will be going in heavily on the mulled wines/ciders etc :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2020, 04:47:05 AM
So I think UK government has basically paused/cancelled its pilot program of getting fans back into sporting events.

But interesting comment from a French journalist that the France allows up to 5,000 people at any sporting events (subject to social distancing requirement etc - so it scales depending on the size of the stadium etc). That's been in place since the start of their season in late August. Despite France being the country with the most new cases in Europe, none have been linked to sporting events. The single biggest driver is offices. Which re-emphasises the point that outdoors is just so much safer than indoors. I think we're being a bit too "one size fits all" here and it might be worth looking at what things we can do outdoors - like getting some people back in stadiums - while stopping people going into work or indoor congregations of people.

I feel like we should all invest in some knitwear and good coats because socially it's going to be a winter of wrapping up and sitting outside. I will be going in heavily on the mulled wines/ciders etc :lol:

I agree that outdoor sporting events need a bit more leeway, but over here one of the reasons cited to not allow crowds at stadiums is that the danger lies on getting to your seat, rather than the actual sitting on the stands. I.e. people crowding access tunnels, public transport stations, etc... I think this could be organized safely, though, with reduced capacity.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on September 25, 2020, 04:54:17 AM
I agree that outdoor sporting events need a bit more leeway, but over here one of the reasons cited to not allow crowds at stadiums is that the danger lies on getting to your seat, rather than the actual sitting on the stands. I.e. people crowding access tunnels, public transport stations, etc... I think this could be organized safely, though, with reduced capacity.
Yeah. I think it probably needs tailoring by the league/FA for example the Emirates has multiple routes available through public transport etc and is very modern so doesn't have cramped corridors - it could probably safely host a lot of people. That's different for a stadium that basically has one route in and out or is very old and cramped like, say, Goodison.

And I think it would be challengiing lower in the leagues but given the way the top leagues in Spain, Italy, England and Germany managed to come back safely - I'd actually trust them to develop their own safety protocols for the 20 or so stadiums in the top division. Then hopefully lesons can be cascaded down into other leagues.

In creepy only in 2020 photos, local council inspectors doing the rounds in Soho to check there are no speakeasies operating after 10pm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

There's a Guardian article on the plight of Soho partygoers who are gravely inconvenienced by the rush from cabaret to pub to make it in time for last rounds, and their determined resistance to move parties to private homes, because not having those is obviously not an option.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2020, 05:00:10 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 25, 2020, 04:54:17 AM
Yeah. I think it probably needs tailoring by the league/FA for example the Emirates has multiple routes available through public transport etc and is very modern so doesn't have cramped corridors - it could probably safely host a lot of people. That's different for a stadium that basically has one route in and out or is very old and cramped like, say, Goodison.

And I think it would be challengiing lower in the leagues but given the way the top leagues in Spain, Italy, England and Germany managed to come back safely - I'd actually trust them to develop their own safety protocols for the 20 or so stadiums in the top division. Then hopefully lesons can be cascaded down into other leagues.

I'd say sporting events should be one of the government's last concerns. Well unless they think they can use it as a bread & circus type deal to keep the public mollified.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on September 25, 2020, 05:17:56 AM
There's a Guardian article on the plight of Soho partygoers who are gravely inconvenienced by the rush from cabaret to pub to make it in time for last rounds, and their determined resistance to move parties to private homes, because not having those is obviously not an option.

Yeah that article was nauseating. I also was surprised by those willing to have their full name and photo shown.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

I think that might be a bit of a sign of the future - the generational divide in some of those comments from young people is really striking.

I do have some sympathy. It must be incredibly shit starting university in the last week or two.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Vienna is implementing visitor lists for restaurants and cafés to aid in contact tracing.

This was done in Germany, too, where the police jumped at the chance to look at the lists to aid in criminal investigations. Which led to many people using fantasy names for the registry.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Police policing :bleeding:

I went a cafe earlier in the week (one of the big brands) and they had a bouncer :ph34r:

He was very polite just keeping limits on numbers and pointed me to the contact tracing QR code. I think he probably asked people to put on masks before they come in as well.

But it was very weird.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2020, 05:41:56 AM
I think that might be a bit of a sign of the future - the generational divide in some of those comments from young people is really striking.

I do have some sympathy. It must be incredibly shit starting university in the last week or two.

Maybe there could be a healthier future where you don't need to get blotto in university. :goodboy:

Sheilbh

:lol: Sure.

But even if you're not getting drunk you need social spaces to meet loads of new people. You're in halls with loads of people you've never met before, you're in a new course with loads of people you've never met before, you've mostly moved away from home towns and probably have a degree of panic and anxiety. So I think 6 person limits and everything closing at 10pm is difficult for those people.

I particularly feel for the 18 year olds who had the stress of the A-Levels fiasco, probably a stress over whether they were still going to university at all and then are hit with all of these restrictions. It should be for most people a slightly scary but positive and exciting transition and that's probably not the way it is :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2020, 05:41:56 AM

Have to admit I do feel a bit of smug schadenfreude for those who are starting this year after their gap yah.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on September 25, 2020, 05:57:52 AM
Have to admit I do feel a bit of smug schadenfreude for those who are starting this year after their gap yah.
:lol: Fair.

Having said that I think I'd probably stay at home for a year or two and defer going to uni until there's no pandemic :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Those jobs at track and trace where you spend most of your time napping might be a good option. May as well get paid for being bored.