News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on May 11, 2020, 04:40:07 AM
So latest thing that Johnson didn't mention in the speech but the press was briefed on is that now you are allowed to meet people outside as long as you maintain 2 meters. And just one single person.

This is not going to end well. The next time there's sunshine the parks will be full of people mingling.

Brits, you might as well embrace for a second spike.

Yes, I'm planning to still stick exclusively to my hermit existence. 7 weeks now without having left my apt building.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Zoupa on May 11, 2020, 01:22:27 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 11, 2020, 12:21:30 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 11, 2020, 12:03:32 AM
If you had at least read the first paragraph, maybe you would see the link?
Evidently not, so here we are.  If your ass is not too full, would you care to explain what the link is supposed to be?

Why do you think the nurse rushed in without proper equipment, and what do you think of her decision?
Can you get to the fucking point you're trying to make, instead of this death by a thousand questions routine?  I'm sure you're seeing some connection between this story and me pointing out to you that making safety policy decisions requires a finite price of life, but I assure you that this logic is too tenuous to discover by Socratic method.  Why don't you just shit it out already so that you're not the only one being enlightened here?

Zoupa

:rolleyes:

How about we forget about it and you take chill pill.

Jesus.

Grey Fox

So latest thing that Johnson didn't mention in the speech but the press was briefed on is that now you are allowed to meet people outside as long as you maintain 2 meters. And just one single person.

This is not going to end well. The next time there's sunshine the parks will be full of people mingling.

Managing spikes is the only way out of this. We need to learn to live with covid & stop hoping it goes away on it's own by hiding.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 11, 2020, 07:33:44 AM

Managing spikes is the only way out of this. We need to learn to live with covid & stop hoping it goes away on it's own by hiding.

Some clear messages and guidelines from the government would make all that easier, though. Right now we have clairvoyants attempting to read meaning out of short-sentence slogans, and then various government members dropping never-before heard guidelines, a random portion of them being rescinded/adjusted later.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2020, 07:42:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 11, 2020, 06:06:12 AM
7 weeks now without having left my apt building.

:blink: Seriously??
I had an annoyingly mobility reducing injury immediately before this so I think I'm on week 13-4. I've left the house maybe every other week for shopping runs. Now I'm off crutches (formally) I do plan to get some outdoor exercise.

More detailed UK guidance:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/884171/FINAL_6.6637_CO_HMG_C19_Recovery_FINAL_110520_v2_WEB__1_.pdf

I don't know what the point of having a statement and then publishing this like 20 hours later was :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on May 11, 2020, 08:32:11 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 11, 2020, 07:33:44 AM

Some clear messages and guidelines from the government would make all that easier, though. Right now we have clairvoyants attempting to read meaning out of short-sentence slogans, and then various government members dropping never-before heard guidelines, a random portion of them being rescinded/adjusted later.

It's not easy governing, especially when you were there just to grift money out.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Reading about a study Hungarian researchers did on the various strains of Covid-19 found in the country. They say their results seem to be matching other countries in the region, probably because they largely instituted the same measures at the same time, and these helped avoid an Italy/Spain like escalation.

There was no clear "patient zero", but multiple people carried the virus in from a number of European countries largely at the same time.

By mid-March there were several local hotspots of infection in the country, but due to social distancing and other measures already being in place by that time, the growth of these remained limited.

Tamas

Also never mentioned during the Big Table Beating With Fists Speech was that now we are advised to wear face coverings when in crowded places. Also pro government tips on making them out of t-shirts:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-wear-and-make-a-cloth-face-covering/how-to-wear-and-make-a-cloth-face-covering

I mean, it's nice to have these tips, and I understand this is far preferable to people panic-buying mask stockpiles instead of the NHS doing so, but it still feels wrong to have the government of the bloody United Kingdom (world-spanning empire a mere 100 years ago) advise people to cut up their t-shirts to make facemasks.

DGuller

In other news, Russia is about to take second place among countries for number of cases.  Maybe promoting conspiracy theories about COVID-19 wasn't such a good idea in hindsight.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on May 11, 2020, 08:50:40 AM
In other news, Russia is about to take second place among countries for number of cases.  Maybe promoting conspiracy theories about COVID-19 wasn't such a good idea in hindsight.

And these are the numbers their people dared giving without risking flying out of windows. Who knows the true extent of it.

Sheilbh

I feel like this is an important story. New clusters in Wuhan and a recent uptick in South Korea:
https://www.ft.com/content/fbb9a1bb-9656-4023-aa97-01ff1dae4403
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on May 10, 2020, 03:18:19 AM
And it's really difficult to deal with them. We're living in a time when you can largely ignore reported truths from credible sources if you so choose, because there'll be tons of alternate sources who will stitch the facts into something that fits what you want to believe - that removes a lot of doubt for the believers. If you're not the only one believing a crazy theory but part of a sizable group then you're much less likely to doubt your preferred narrative. Media competency and education are IMHO the only, albeit very slow, way out of this dilemma.

It doesn't help that the "reported truths" from credible sources contain lies that are easily identifiable. See the situation with the masks--it was fucking obvious that they would provide some benefit, I posted to that effect on this forum at the time--but that wasn't the message. The severity of the disease has also been overstated for younger age groups.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014