Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on April 02, 2020, 08:41:41 AM
In other news, the crazy contagion spreads:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/engineer-allegedly-crash-train-usns-mercy-los-angeles/story?id=69926172&fbclid=IwAR1PcHEzUQZXihaA8kM2fDcV_veDn34ssKJwpxWs471mgOQGZRhwEqEuqwY

I wonder if Sav will be as upset as I am about this:

It's not a train unless the locomotive/s have rolling stock or carriages connected to it.   :mad:

NB it's not clear from the photos video if the nearby container was linked to the locomotive or not, so I'm ignoring it to benefit the 'joke'. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Close to ten million new filings for unemployment in the last two weeks in the USA, about 900.000 in Spain. Not looking good for the economy. Let's see how long this can be sustained. 

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on April 02, 2020, 10:22:58 AM
Close to ten million new filings for unemployment in the last two weeks in the USA, about 900.000 in Spain. Not looking good for the economy. Let's see how long this can be sustained.

What, the 'old' normal?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on April 02, 2020, 10:26:08 AM
Quote from: Zanza on April 02, 2020, 10:22:58 AM

What, the 'old' normal?

In the US, I don't think there was ever a week with more than 500k. 9 million the last two weeks, with 6.6 million this week. The numbers are likely understated because there are reports that people haven't been able to file because some state systems are overwhelmed (websites down, lines too long, etc).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

I thought the report was coming out tomorrow?  You're talking the high end of projections, right?  Not that it really matters, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2020, 10:38:01 AM
I thought the report was coming out tomorrow?  You're talking the high end of projections, right?  Not that it really matters, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Nope--it came out today.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-covid-weekly-initial-jobless-claims-march-28-165758189.html

Actually they revised up the prior week's numbers to 3.3 million, so that means 10 million in two weeks.

I was wrong about the record before the last two weeks--that article says it was 685k back in 1982.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Syt

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/490758-georgia-governor-says-he-didnt-know-asymptomatic-people-could-spread

QuoteGeorgia governor says he didn't know asymptomatic people could spread coronavirus

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R), while announcing a statewide stay-at-home order, said Wednesday that he only recently became aware the coronavirus could be spread by asymptomatic people.

"The reason I'm taking this action, like I've continued to tell people, I'm following the data, I'm following the advice of Dr. [Kathleen] Toomey," Kemp said in response to a reporter's question at a press conference announcing the order.

"Finding out that this virus is now transmitting before people see signs, so what we've been telling people from directives from the CDC [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] for weeks now that if you start feeling bad, stay home ... those individuals could've been infecting people before they ever felt bad," he added. "But we didn't know that until the last 24 hours. And as Dr. Toomey told me, this is a game changer for us."

Public health officials have long warned the virus can be carried and passed on by people not displaying symptoms, and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who became the first senator to test positive for the virus in March, reported that he had not experienced any symptoms before testing positive.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield said earlier this week that up to a quarter of all cases do not show symptoms, telling NPR "this helps explain how rapidly this virus continues to spread across the country because we have asymptomatic transmitters and we have individuals who are transmitting 48 hours before they become symptomatic."

Kemp announced the stay-at-home order Wednesday, saying he will sign it Thursday to be effective through April 13, and he announced all of the state's K-12 public schools would remain closed for the rest of the school year. He said the state has reported 4,638 cases and 139 deaths statewide as of Wednesday afternoon.

"I know you want to return to business as usual, but we must first overcome the obstacles we have in our path," Kemp said at his briefing.

I'm under the impression that this has been general knowledge for weeks now? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

The governor is a moron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQBENgYJxgs

He was not really a serious candidate until he ran this ad, and then people were like, "he pointed a gun at a kid in a campaign ad, he must be governor material".

He then made other ads, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqs3M85E0iI

Really I could just post all his campaign ads.

Don't expect anything from Georgia.

Josquius

How is testing in Italy I wonder?
Their numbers are really promising.
But then they could be like the UK and just not testing...

QuoteQuote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 08:58:43 am
  Governor just issued a stay in place order but exempted religious institutions.
A fortnight before Easter that seems like an unhelpful exemption.

I think a lot Catholic dioceses are shutting down public worship, but given the stuff we've seen with evangelicals and Pentecostals I wouldn't be surprised if they went ahead with services because God'll protect his own :bleeding:

Also Tate is releasing free online tours of its two current exhibitions on Andy Warhol and Aubrey Beardsley for people who want diverting

Isn't the US plan to completely end lockdown before easter anyway?
(dumb)
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on April 02, 2020, 10:50:37 AM
Isn't the US plan to completely end lockdown before easter anyway?
(dumb)

Lock downs are handled at the state level.  Trump is issuing national guidelines but there is no national lock down plan.

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on April 02, 2020, 09:56:55 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 02, 2020, 08:41:41 AM
In other news, the crazy contagion spreads:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/engineer-allegedly-crash-train-usns-mercy-los-angeles/story?id=69926172&fbclid=IwAR1PcHEzUQZXihaA8kM2fDcV_veDn34ssKJwpxWs471mgOQGZRhwEqEuqwY

I wonder if Sav will be as upset as I am about this:

It's not a train unless the locomotive/s have rolling stock or carriages connected to it.   :mad:

NB it's not clear from the photos video if the nearby container was linked to the locomotive or not, so I'm ignoring it to benefit the 'joke'. 

:lol:

Yes, that is correct; but I've even heard Union Pacific engineers refer to a single locomotive as a "Train."

If you want to impress your friends with rail slang; multiple locomotives are called a "Consist."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2020, 10:42:20 AM
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/490758-georgia-governor-says-he-didnt-know-asymptomatic-people-could-spread

QuoteGeorgia governor says he didn't know asymptomatic people could spread coronavirus

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R), while announcing a statewide stay-at-home order, said Wednesday that he only recently became aware the coronavirus could be spread by asymptomatic people.

"The reason I'm taking this action, like I've continued to tell people, I'm following the data, I'm following the advice of Dr. [Kathleen] Toomey," Kemp said in response to a reporter's question at a press conference announcing the order.

"Finding out that this virus is now transmitting before people see signs, so what we've been telling people from directives from the CDC [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] for weeks now that if you start feeling bad, stay home ... those individuals could've been infecting people before they ever felt bad," he added. "But we didn't know that until the last 24 hours. And as Dr. Toomey told me, this is a game changer for us."

Public health officials have long warned the virus can be carried and passed on by people not displaying symptoms, and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who became the first senator to test positive for the virus in March, reported that he had not experienced any symptoms before testing positive.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield said earlier this week that up to a quarter of all cases do not show symptoms, telling NPR "this helps explain how rapidly this virus continues to spread across the country because we have asymptomatic transmitters and we have individuals who are transmitting 48 hours before they become symptomatic."

Kemp announced the stay-at-home order Wednesday, saying he will sign it Thursday to be effective through April 13, and he announced all of the state's K-12 public schools would remain closed for the rest of the school year. He said the state has reported 4,638 cases and 139 deaths statewide as of Wednesday afternoon.

"I know you want to return to business as usual, but we must first overcome the obstacles we have in our path," Kemp said at his briefing.

I'm under the impression that this has been general knowledge for weeks now? :unsure:

It has. At least two weeks, likely longer.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2020, 09:14:05 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2020, 08:58:43 AMGovernor just issued a stay in place order but exempted religious institutions.
A fortnight before Easter that seems like an unhelpful exemption.

I think a lot Catholic dioceses are shutting down public worship, but given the stuff we've seen with evangelicals and Pentecostals I wouldn't be surprised if they went ahead with services because God'll protect his own :bleeding:

Also Tate is releasing free online tours of its two current exhibitions on Andy Warhol and Aubrey Beardsley for people who want diverting :)

Catholic diocese of Jefferson City has stopped public public worship.  For confession you need to call ahead and the confession will be done out side at a safe distance.  Bullhorn will be provided.

Okay,  I made that last one up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Quote from: merithyn on April 02, 2020, 11:10:05 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2020, 10:42:20 AM

It has. At least two weeks, likely longer.

Yes, but that knowledge was being put out by "Scientists" who work in "Laboratories" and so therefore not a trustworthy source of information.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2020, 06:21:41 PM
More on the increase in covid19 patients in UK hospitals. Today at total of 10,767 people with the virus we in English hospitals up from around 9,000 yesterday. 

That rate of increase broadly fits with a doubling from 4,500 to 9,000 over the weekend to Monday.:hmm:
Apparently about 12,900 today which is accelerating a bit?

Edit: On the tolerating waste thing I was wondering about, I saw a story about the French Health Minister in 2009 who spent a lot on masks and stocking vaccines for swine flu - and it became a huge scandal and seen as someone being incredibly wasteful. I think something similar happened here - I remember there being a scandal over spending loads on a vaccine (tamiflu) for a pandemic that didn't materialise. I hope in the future - at least for a while - it'll be more of a political scandal if a government doesn't prepare for an oncoming potential epidemic rather than that they waste money on preparations for a epidemic that doesn't become a pandemic.
Let's bomb Russia!