Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I think there is a higher than zero chance that is fake news.

Zoupa

Sheilbh

Joined the clap for our carers moment. As loud as last week if this does now happen organically every week I'm kind of okay with it.

Still in awe of the kids in my neighbourhood who join in through fireworks :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on April 02, 2020, 02:03:35 PM
I dunno. It's the wild west out there.

I'm not sure either.  I just smell a rat.

celedhring

L'Express in France reported that France tried to hijack a shipment to Spain and Italy that was offloaded at Lyon. How high do they score in fakenewsry?

Oexmelin

I think we are at a moment when everyone will cut corners short, so prudence is warranted.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2020, 02:07:07 PM
Joined the clap for our carers moment. As loud as last week if this does now happen organically every week I'm kind of okay with it.

Still in awe of the kids in my neighbourhood who join in through fireworks :lol:

Either everyone in our street stopped in one minute, or there was far less enthusiasm here than last time.

Admiral Yi

Just heard on NPR that Trudeau is claiming diversion of medical supplies by the US.

Pretty successful run to the grocery store, but inexplicably no dish soap has been available for weeks.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2020, 02:57:15 PM
Just heard on NPR that Trudeau is claiming diversion of medical supplies by the US.

Pretty successful run to the grocery store, but inexplicably no dish soap has been available for weeks.

Maybe we should also start stealing Canadian dish soap.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on April 02, 2020, 03:00:09 PM
Maybe we should also start stealing Canadian dish soap.

It probably comes in a plastic bag.

bogh

Patients currently in hospital has stagnated (and even declined slightly) since Monday. The flattening has been holding steady throughout the week, so it looks like we have in fact halted the spread significantly. ICU numbers are still rising slightly, but I imagine that will start to taper off early next week as the decline in initial admissions start to effect it. Deaths are also rising slowly, but pretty far off the worst case scenario. It is hard to see us hitting the 1000 ICU (we are currently at 150 and growing by a couple a day) capacity in the Danish health care system anytime soon unless the situation changes dramatically. It almost feels like they've managed to hold it back a little too well - if a sizeable number of us need to get infected and develop immunity, completely arresting it just delays the eventual.

The government has stated that barring any sudden jumps, restrictions will be gradually relaxed from mid April. Most likely schools and work places will partly reopen with classes spread out across "off peak" hours to reduce exposure and companies letting people work from home often. The elderly and bigger gatherings (concerts, sporting events etc.) will likely stay locked down quite a while longer. We'll see.

Barrister

Quote from: bogh on April 02, 2020, 03:17:36 PM
Patients currently in hospital has stagnated (and even declined slightly) since Monday. The flattening has been holding steady throughout the week, so it looks like we have in fact halted the spread significantly. ICU numbers are still rising slightly, but I imagine that will start to taper off early next week as the decline in initial admissions start to effect it. Deaths are also rising slowly, but pretty far off the worst case scenario. It is hard to see us hitting the 1000 ICU (we are currently at 150 and growing by a couple a day) capacity in the Danish health care system anytime soon unless the situation changes dramatically. It almost feels like they've managed to hold it back a little too well - if a sizeable number of us need to get infected and develop immunity, completely arresting it just delays the eventual.

The government has stated that barring any sudden jumps, restrictions will be gradually relaxed from mid April. Most likely schools and work places will partly reopen with classes spread out across "off peak" hours to reduce exposure and companies letting people work from home often. The elderly and bigger gatherings (concerts, sporting events etc.) will likely stay locked down quite a while longer. We'll see.

I'm pretty sure it's way too early to talk about easing off on restrictions.  Unless the rate of new infections is zero, that means the virus is still in the population, and will start spreading again w/o social distancing.

We can only realistically ease up on social distancing only once:

A. we have South Korea level mass testing and mass surveillance;
B. we have developed effective treatment or vaccine for Covid-19; or
C. substantial % of the population has acquired Covid-19 such that "herd immunity" starts to apply.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on April 02, 2020, 02:25:44 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2020, 02:07:07 PM

Either everyone in our street stopped in one minute, or there was far less enthusiasm here than last time.
Yeah - here was as loud as last week, I think people are just glad for the excuse to do something together/social.

I've seen piping for key workers in Glasgow which is quite a nice twist.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Interesting little story.  Canada and US reached a deal that banns non-essential travel across the border.

Canada implements the ban to cover all modes of transportation.  US implements the ban at land and ferries - it allows people to enter the US from Canada by air, rail or sea for any purpose.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/covid-19-canada-u-s-border-1.5518191
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.