Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Quote from: mongers on April 01, 2020, 06:25:08 PM
Quote from: Fate on April 01, 2020, 06:05:52 PM
From the Wall Street Journal:
Italy's Coronavirus Death Toll Is Far Higher Than Reported

".... In the wider Bergamo province, which comprises the city and more than 240 small towns and has a total population of 1.1 million, 2,060 people died in March from the virus. But some 4,500 more people died in the province in March than a year earlier, according to a new joint study by the local Eco di Bergamo newspaper and research firm InTwig that took data from 91 towns in the province."

Italy might really have ~40k total dead to date if Bergamo excess mortality data applies to other other northern provinces.

Interesting.

Is this more evidence against the notion that 'when the pandemic is over, a huge number of mild undiagnosed cases will have been postulated and so the overall death rate will be 1% or less' ?

Potentially, or the two may cancel each other out and we still end up near that number. We don't have the testing capacity to do real time estimations of the true prevalence of mild cases or asymptomatics. That will have to wait for serological surveys after everything has calmed down.

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 01, 2020, 07:26:31 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 01, 2020, 07:16:29 PM
twice as likely to kill someone in an accident if you're going at 30mph than 20mph..

If you can't avoid pedestrians at 30 mph, you shouldn't be behind the wheel.
That depends on how much warning they give you before presenting themselves in front of your car, doesn't it?

Eddie Teach

Perhaps an exception can be made for city driving.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Threviel

What's this obsession with testing about? If you are sick in any way, you stay at home. If you are very sick you go to a hospital and hope to live. What is testing supposed to achieve in all this?

I see that you might test staff and the very sick, but what is the point of spending lots of resources to test the general populace?

merithyn

Quote from: Threviel on April 01, 2020, 11:56:18 PM
What's this obsession with testing about? If you are sick in any way, you stay at home. If you are very sick you go to a hospital and hope to live. What is testing supposed to achieve in all this?

I see that you might test staff and the very sick, but what is the point of spending lots of resources to test the general populace?

In the US, at least, a lot of support is only available if you've tested positive.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Threviel

That sounds like an artificial constraint. Are you talking about unemployment support or medical support?

Tamas

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 01, 2020, 11:26:59 PM

You have never driven a car have you? If I am doijng 30mph and a pedestrian suddenly steps onto the road in front of me, closer to the car than the braking distance for 30mph then I cannot stop the car before hitting them. I can try and sverve but that's it.

Tamas

On the lack of UK testing: maybe that was part of the behavioral scientist advice. Hard to let it slowly spread when people are aware of the scale of it :p

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on April 02, 2020, 01:24:43 AM
On the lack of UK testing: maybe that was part of the behavioral scientist advice. Hard to let it slowly spread when people are aware of the scale of it :p

I'm not sure why those advisors heads aren't on pikes. I guess too soon?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tamas on April 02, 2020, 01:23:19 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 01, 2020, 11:26:59 PM

You have never driven a car have you? If I am doijng 30mph and a pedestrian suddenly steps onto the road in front of me, closer to the car than the braking distance for 30mph then I cannot stop the car before hitting them. I can try and sverve but that's it.

If you're not driving in areas with heavy foot traffic, you should have taken note of the pedestrian well before he was in range of your car. Unless he's purposely trying to get hit, you'll be able to avoid him.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Now there will be a 'clap for carers' in the UK.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/second-clap-carers-tribute-planned-21794022

QuoteSecond 'Clap For Our Carers' tribute planned to show appreciation for all key workers

Following the success of last week's 'Clap For Our Carers' campaign, the UK will once again applaud key workers this Thursday.

People are being urged to take to their windows, balconies or doorways to show their appreciation for all the key workers who are keeping the country running throughout the coronavirus crisis.

Last week, millions of people across the UK applauded from their homes in a moving tribute to the country's NHS workers.

This week's applause will honour teachers, cleaners, supermarket workers and delivery drivers - as well as the NHS staff who are working around the clock.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

It always sounds more like a curse to me  :hmm:

celedhring

834,000 jobs lost in Spain in March. Worst drop in history.

Josquius

Yeah, I don't watch TV so had no idea what it was all about when it happened. After my initial reaction of this is the second part of the plague, these zombies clap, I thought it was some kind of massed protest against the police or so.
██████
██████
██████