And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2020, 10:24:38 AM
Quote from: merithyn on March 22, 2020, 10:13:23 AM
My neighbors had a party last night. Probably 30-40 people in the yard, dancing, drinking, etc. I saw them as I walked the dog.

Gods help us all, because we're sure as hell not helping ourselves.
Yeah. My mum - who takes it seriously because she works in a related sector and is a key worker who works with Italian and Spanish colleagues regularly so knows what is coming (though I still had to reiterate some of the guidance today :blush: - said that the local town (Dorchester) was full of people like a normal Saturday yesterday.

Lot's of them were elderly because it's quite an old county and the cafes were shut but people were just meeting in the main market street and chatting outside instead. Dorset only has 8 cases so far so it's probably not hitting home but she was amazed at how busy it was/how bad people are at following the guidance.

I think London's about to go through something like Lombardy or Madrid. The only possible benefit is the rest of the country is a few weeks behind so starts taking it seriously now :(

Also on the fatigue point I mentioned earlier - polling from Singapore is starting to show a slight decline in support for these measures. That's after a month or so - I'm not sure how we keep people in if it runs on for much more than 2-3 months.

Thanks for the local info, I didn't go out Saturday, only 200 yards into town to get a paper, but didn't really see many.

I wonder what things were like in the conurbation, Bm'th and Poole?
I bet the beaches were tempting.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

Here both the Prez and VP have jumped quarantine.

Prez's wife, mother and FiL now positive. Both mother and wife got the bug during the massive Women's Day demonstration they delayed locking down the country for.

PDH

8am Sunday in Santa Cruz.  Safeway had TP, Paper Towels, and Kleenex.  1 package (9 rolls of TP, 1 six pack towells, 1 three pack kleenex).  The gods of supply chain management have come through and blessed me.

Now I fee sorry for all those people who bought 800 rolls of toilet paper - when the expiration date hits they will be stuck with all that useless stuff  :(
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Still searching for a big shop option and it turns out the only delivery service I can find - because I'm a local - is Borough Market Online :ph34r:

I will be going into the most haute bourgeoisie lockdown imaginable :ph34r:

If the shortages come - I deserve to be looted  :Embarrass:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on March 22, 2020, 10:57:41 AM
Now I fee sorry for all those people who bought 800 rolls of toilet paper - when the expiration date hits they will be stuck with all that useless stuff  :(

:lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Beaches, national parks and beauty spots overrun with people this weekend:
Barry Island

Snowdonia

Brecon Beacons

Though someone in mid-Wales had some sense:

Maladict

Quote from: Iormlund on March 22, 2020, 08:22:34 AM

The thing I find most troubling is how few 80+ year old patients are admitted to ICU.

Over here it's the same, but it is because they choose not to be admitted. The ICU procedure is pretty rough on anyone, and much more so on them. Many prefer to die at home.

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on March 22, 2020, 12:29:23 AM
On March 21, the UK reported 234 fatalities. Almost exact progression as Italy at that point.

Same  :(

DGuller

mongers

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 22, 2020, 10:32:12 AM
Quote from: merithyn on March 22, 2020, 10:13:23 AM
My neighbors had a party last night. Probably 30-40 people in the yard, dancing, drinking, etc. I saw them as I walked the dog.

Gods help us all, because we're sure as hell not helping ourselves.

We had people packing into our beaches and parks yesterday-nice warm spring day, what could go wrong?

Life. Life could go wrong.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tamas

So judging by the numbers, our weak leadership, and a lot of the public's attitude, I guess realistically the only open question is if we can stop things at a Spain level, or we become another Italy.

With that in mind, what can be done to prepare for the lockdown and inevitable curfew in 2-3 weeks time?

Spaniards, Italians, how have you found grocery shopping and deliveries?

merithyn

I'm at the local Winco right now. Paper towels and toilet paper secured. Most people are respecting the six-foot rule. Lots of gloves and masks seen.

I've decided I'm totally going to make some fun cloth masks. (CDC suggests four layers of close-knit cotton, of which I have plenty.)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on March 22, 2020, 11:51:15 AM
So judging by the numbers, our weak leadership, and a lot of the public's attitude, I guess realistically the only open question is if we can stop things at a Spain level, or we become another Italy.

With that in mind, what can be done to prepare for the lockdown and inevitable curfew in 2-3 weeks time?

Spaniards, Italians, how have you found grocery shopping and deliveries?

We are in the same trajectory as Italy, tbf, just a few days behind because the virus exploded here slightly later. But the UK isn't looking good, we had 300 dead when we shut down and you're going to pass that figure soon.

Buying groceries has been fine. Yes, some shelves are empty, but so far it's been at the level of "damn, I can't have greek yogurt, I'll have to settle for regular one".