News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Zoupa on March 21, 2020, 04:38:58 PM
In the comorbidity risk factors, obesity is right there. Why are we even discussing this?It's fucking science.

Except it's not. Obesity isn't listed on anything I've seen as a co morbidity for deaths or serious illnesses related to COVID-19. It's simply not.

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30136-3/fulltext

QuoteWe assessed the prevalence of comorbidities in the COVID-19 infection patients and found underlying disease, including hypertension, respiratory system disease and cardiovascular, may be a risk factor for severe patients compared with Non-severe patients.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30558-4/fulltext

QuoteMany of the older patients who become severely ill have evidence of underlying illness such as cardiovascular disease, liver disease, kidney disease, or malignant tumours.3,  4,  5 These patients often die of their original comorbidities; we therefore need to accurately evaluate all original comorbidities of individuals with COVID-19. In addition to the risk of group transmission of an infectious disease, we should pay full attention to the treatment of the original comorbidities of the individual while treating pneumonia, especially in older patients with serious comorbid conditions. Not only capable of causing pneumonia, COVID-19 may also cause damage to other organs such as the heart, the liver, and the kidneys, as well as to organ systems such as the blood and the immune system.3,  4,  5 Patients eventually die of multiple organ failure, shock, acute respiratory distress syndrome, heart failure, arrhythmias, and renal failure.5,  6 We should therefore pay attention to potential multi-organ injuries and the protection and prevention thereof in the treatment of COVID-19.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html

QuotePatients who reported no underlying medical conditions had an overall case fatality of 0.9%, but case fatality was higher for patients with comorbidities: 10.5% for those with cardiovascular disease, 7% for diabetes, and 6% each for chronic respiratory disease, hypertension, and cancer.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

ulmont

Quote from: Fate on March 21, 2020, 10:12:24 PM
NYC is an impending disaster.

He said, pointedly ignoring Louisiana on his graph - well more fucked than NY - where almost all the cases are from New Orleans.

Fate

Good 'ole capitalism...
https://coronachecktest.com/

Gives an answer in 10 minutes and can be done in the privacy of your own home. Basically it works like the rapid flu or strep tests that can be done in outpatient doctor offices. At the moment they can only send test kits to doctors, but they're seeking emergency approval by the FDA for individual home use. Certainly could happen in a few days if one of Trump's minions put it infront of his face....

Barrister

One thing I'm happy about: within Canada, Alberta has managed to do more tests for Covid, both per-capita, and on an absolute basis, than ay other jurisdiction in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-covid-19-tests-more-than-other-provinces-1.5505622
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

All those 10 or 15 minute tests are for antibodies, right? You only develop antibodies about 10 days after being infected. So it is a good test to find out if you now have immunity,  but it is too late to contain spread. And they typically have a much lower reliability than the PCR tests. Until they find a test that checks for a protein of the virus itself, the only reliable early test remains the PCR.

viper37

Quote from: Fate on March 21, 2020, 10:12:24 PM
NYC is an impending disaster. I think the government needs a implement a mandatory draft of all ICU staff from across the country where we don't have significant outbreaks to staff make-shift ICUs in the hot zones.

thats graph... it's awful :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Would it be a better use of resources to move ICU staff, patients and equipment to a centralized location such as a military base?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

On March 21, the UK reported 234 fatalities. Almost exact progression as Italy at that point.

Zanza

100,000 new confirmed cases globally in the last three days

Admiral Yi

That death comparison is pretty fucking eerie.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on March 22, 2020, 12:29:23 AM
On March 21, the UK reported 234 fatalities. Almost exact progression as Italy at that point.

Holy shit.

Zanza

Quote from: Zanza on March 22, 2020, 12:31:42 AM
100,000 new confirmed cases globally in the last three days
- 24/01: 1,000 cases
- 28/01: 5,000
- 12/02: 50,000
- 06/03: 100,000
- 14/03: 150,000
- 18/03: 200,000
- 19/03: 225,000
- 21/03: 250,000
- 22/03: 300,000

celedhring

Wuhan-style field hospital being set up in Madrid.

3 more in Valencia, possibly one in Barcelona.

celedhring

28,572 confirmed cases (+14%), 1720 dead (+30%), 2,575 recovered, 1,785 UCI cases (+11%)

The number of new acute cases is a good sign, but after it was up 40% yesterday I think we're just seeing fluctuations in reporting.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2020, 07:14:39 PM
Apparently Brits are ignoring social distancing requests by the "hundreds of thousands" as they flock to seaside towns and other holiday destinations. I mean, it's sunshine and 9 degrees Celsius, who could resist risking a global pandemic for a shiny bright 9 degrees weather with piercing wind!

This is not going to end well. Anyone in need of an ICU bed in a week or two, including our age groups here on the forum I am afraid, will be in serious trouble.
And the National Trust are closing their outdoor sites because thousands of people went to them and just did not keep 2m apart.

For fuck's sake - the way people are behaving we'll need a full alll day curfew imposed :bleeding: :ultra:

In better news the NHS launched it's appeal for retired staff to come back - 4,000 nurses and 500 doctors have already volunteered.

Edit: Also this reminds me of exactly what happened in Italy. The Italian authorities have said they had a spike in cases because of irresponsible behaviour of some citizens who went to the bars, cafes, restaurants and beaches - especially after the schools closed. We've done the exact same thing :ultra: :bleeding:

Edit: And this is going to be loads of people from areas that are more likely to have it - like London or the West Midlands - going to rural areas which don't have a huge healthcare system. So everyone's really making sure that Cornwall, the Highlands, Snowdonia etc really get fucked :(
Let's bomb Russia!