Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 21, 2020, 02:39:47 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2020, 10:41:39 AM
Obesity doesn't just mean overweight.

Obesity is by definition a chronic medical condition.  There is by definition no such thing as a heathy obese person.

I think that what we have here s a classic "two peoples separated by a common language" thing.  In the US, the CDC notes that
QuoteAt an individual level, BMI can be used as a screening tool but is not diagnostic of the body fatness or the health of an individual.
https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/adult/defining.html while in British Colombia (or maybe just CC's neighborhood or even household) it may be, "by definition," a medical condition (which thus can only be positively identified by trained medical personnel).

So both sides may be right, depending on what jurisdiction's definition they are referring to.

Indeed, some appear not to be aware of the AMA decision in their own country.  Since we are generally talking about the US and it was a statement made by a US doctor being questioned, I would have thought the AMA would be persuasive.  But, to bring this back to the topic at hand, health issues appear to be all about politics in your country.

Syt

Austria is lucky so far. *knocks on wood*

2970 cases, 102 hospitalized and only 15 in intensive care, and just 8 deaths so far.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zoupa

Quote from: DGuller on March 21, 2020, 12:05:41 PM

Obesity is by definition a chronic medical condition.  There is by definition no such thing as a heathy obese person.
That's a meaningless tautology.  You can define having a broken nail as a disease, and thus by definition no one with a broken nail is a healthy person.  The utility of such definitions for discussing risks of complications from COVID-19 is limited.

In the comorbidity risk factors, obesity is right there. Why are we even discussing this?It's fucking science.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on March 21, 2020, 03:51:57 PM
Quebec predicts 18 000 infected by April 21st.  By April 5th, 1900 should be hospitalized and around 100 in intensive care.
jours = days

That seems... optimistic.

celedhring

La Fille Du Regiment on Met Opera's daily free show. I love this production, I saw it live back when I lived in NYC and it's so fun and entertaining. I heartily recommend it.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on March 21, 2020, 04:40:35 PM
the newspaper said they had it vetted by another epidemiologist who said it was a realistic scenario.  They most likely have other, catastrophic scenarios, but this is one they believe will happen with the most certainty.  We did implement social confinement early on, but there are still clusters of people moving freely about, while infected.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: celedhring on March 21, 2020, 04:40:35 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 21, 2020, 03:51:57 PM
Quebec predicts 18 000 infected by April 21st.  By April 5th, 1900 should be hospitalized and around 100 in intensive care.
jours = days

For Quebec? Not really. We started being confined we had 18 cases.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on March 21, 2020, 04:38:58 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 21, 2020, 12:05:41 PM

That's a meaningless tautology.  You can define having a broken nail as a disease, and thus by definition no one with a broken nail is a healthy person.  The utility of such definitions for discussing risks of complications from COVID-19 is limited.

In the comorbidity risk factors, obesity is right there. Why are we even discussing this?It's fucking science.

This trumps science, this is grammar!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 20, 2020, 10:05:36 PM
77 new cases in BC 348 total

Nine people have died, including eight in one old age home. Twenty-two people are now in hospital, with 10 in intensive care. Six people have fully recovered

There are 74 new confirmed cases and 5 additional hospitalizations.  424 total confirmed cases with 27 total in hospital and 12 in ICU.  10 deaths in total.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 21, 2020, 06:08:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 20, 2020, 10:05:36 PM
77 new cases in BC 348 total

Nine people have died, including eight in one old age home. Twenty-two people are now in hospital, with 10 in intensive care. Six people have fully recovered

There are 74 new confirmed cases and 5 additional hospitalizations.  424 total confirmed cases with 27 total in hospital and 12 in ICU.  10 deaths in total.

Here in England the authorities aren't giving details of critical, nos in ICU and crucially ICU/ventilator occupancy rates. Journalist have been asking for the details.

Broadly your figures seem in line with the UKs around at 10th or less of the ours, so I'm assuming BC population is about 5million?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

Quote from: mongers on March 21, 2020, 06:44:17 PM
Broadly your figures seem in line with the UKs around at 10th or less of the ours, so I'm assuming BC population is about 5million?

Figures are not really affected that much by population yet. Unless you are so big a country that you had a lot of different points of entry the critical factor seems just time.

That won't change until the infection reaches numbers so high it starts running out of potential hosts.

mongers

I'm guessing radiographers are one of the few hospital professionals that aren't being retrained to go on the coronavirus front lines, but no doubt still in the thick of it. So what good luck message, if any should send to a non-close friend of mine?

mongers

Quote from: Iormlund on March 21, 2020, 06:53:14 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 21, 2020, 06:44:17 PM

Figures are not really affected that much by population yet. Unless you are so big a country that you had a lot of different points of entry the critical factor seems just time.

That won't change until the infection reaches numbers so high it starts running out of potential hosts.

Yes good point, after all there's a lot of capacity that this virus can ramp up in to.

Tamas

Apparently Brits are ignoring social distancing requests by the "hundreds of thousands" as they flock to seaside towns and other holiday destinations. I mean, it's sunshine and 9 degrees Celsius, who could resist risking a global pandemic for a shiny bright 9 degrees weather with piercing wind!

This is not going to end well. Anyone in need of an ICU bed in a week or two, including our age groups here on the forum I am afraid, will be in serious trouble.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on March 21, 2020, 07:14:39 PM
Apparently Brits are ignoring social distancing requests by the "hundreds of thousands" as they flock to seaside towns and other holiday destinations. I mean, it's sunshine and 9 degrees Celsius, who could resist risking a global pandemic for a shiny bright 9 degrees weather with piercing wind!

This is not going to end well. Anyone in need of an ICU bed in a week or two, including our age groups here on the forum I am afraid, will be in serious trouble.

Yes I've heard of Brighton and other towns being like bank holiday mondays. :bleeding:

Also saw some video of Newcastle city centre, lots of old or infirm people walking about in the crowds;do those brexit voters have a death wish?