Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on February 29, 2020, 02:08:40 AMThey are also putting rules in place that all federal communications must go through the White House.  Apparently Trump wasn't happy with his press conference where the scientists and government employed contradicted Trump's statements right in front of him.
:blink:

That's not good. Surely you need public health officials giving public health messages, not the White House vetting it to make sure it's appropriately - I don't know - upbeat? Politically on message?

This could end up with something like when Trump drew that hurricane going into Alabama, except on something more serious.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Maybe it's going to take a deadly pandemic to drive the message home that maybe the government shouldn't be run by complete imbeciles.  Better than a nuclear war, though the night is still young.

Josquius

With fear of mutation.... Does that mean its best to get it now and build immunity while it's mostly harmless?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I'd guess if it mutates you lose your immunity.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Maybe we've all already contracted it, but it turns out it's real mild and everyone lives.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Legbiter

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 29, 2020, 03:23:03 AM
Maybe we've all already contracted it, but it turns out it's real mild and everyone lives.

It's escaped China so now we can see better what the actual epidemiology is. South Korea is mounting a pretty strong response. I glanced at some preliminary findings on the genetic stability of the virus and it seems pretty stable, that is it's not mutating fast which means you should get good herd immunity going.

Here 49 people have been quarantined who may have been in contact with that single confirmed case.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Syt

Number of cases in Austria has gone from 4 yesterday to 9 today.

On Monday, some colleagues will be back in the office after a global convention in Vegas where a large Chinese delegation also participated. That'll be fun. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

A colleague of mine is flying to Venice and then boarding a cruise there.   :glare:

mongers

Quote from: Iormlund on February 29, 2020, 07:49:42 AM
A colleague of mine is flying to Venice and then boarding a floating incubator there.   :glare:

FYP.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

A colleague of mine is flying to Venice and then boarding a cruise there.   :glare:

Yeah it's incredibly stupid. The local airline here still has direct flights to Verona and the health authorities are not requiring quarantine after returning despite the virus spreading rapidly on it's own in Italy. Then they shrug their shoulders in the aftermath and say they were only following WHO guidelines.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on February 29, 2020, 09:17:24 AM
A colleague of mine is flying to Venice and then boarding a floating incubator there.   :glare:

FYP.
Always nice to discover new reasons to avoid cruises.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on February 29, 2020, 01:53:54 AM
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1233516512830459908?s=20

"We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical." -- The President of the United States of America.

"That's not great. But it's not terrible." -- The President of the United States of America.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Just been chatting to a friend who is a meddical researcher (in a totally different field) who has friends and colleagues in the WHO etc.

He basically said, don't panic but keep a stock of canned goods because some of the models of infection are quite scary :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Every cloud has a silver lining

BBC News - Coronavirus: Nasa images show China pollution clear amid slowdown
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51691967
██████
██████
██████