Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

No, JR is right from a mathematical perspective.  If the situation is not critical at the moment, then uncertainty is a cause for concern.  If you're certain, we know that we have a manageable problem on our hands.  If you're uncertain, then on one side you have an even more manageable problem (so what), but on the other side you have doom. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on February 27, 2020, 01:25:48 PM
If 10% of Americans get infected with this virus, and the virus is only 1/5 as dangerous as believed due to undercounting of infections, that would be 1 in 2,000 chance of dying. 

That means 160,000 dead Americans on those assumptions. 
Using the $10 million value per life used by federal regulatory agencies, that would imply a reasonable spending level of up to $1.6 trillion to combat that outcome.

Of course if the virus is more dangerous  . . . you can figure it.

I confess to the crime of risk aversion.  But it is also useful to point out the full implications of one's assumptions.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

I wonder what the effect on election an outbreak would have.  One obvious outcome is that Buttigieg will be the nominee by default.  The stakes would also get much higher with five or so openings on the Supreme Court.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 27, 2020, 01:40:15 PM
That means 160,000 dead Americans on those assumptions. 
Using the $10 million value per life used by federal regulatory agencies, that would imply a reasonable spending level of up to $1.6 trillion to combat that outcome.

Of course if the virus is more dangerous  . . . you can figure it.

I confess to the crime of risk aversion.  But it is also useful to point out the full implications of one's assumptions.

That is a preposterous assumption. Based on that logic, we should spend $100 trillion to prevent the death of 3% of the population.

Federal regulatory agencies have too many lawyers that results in excessive risk aversion.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on February 27, 2020, 01:42:24 PM
I wonder what the effect on election an outbreak would have.  One obvious outcome is that Buttigieg will be the nominee by default.  The stakes would also get much higher with five or so openings on the Supreme Court.

:lol:

What about the GOP candidate? Brokered convention?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

18 new cases in Germany, hundreds under observation and testing. Roughly were Italy was about five or six days ago.

alfred russel

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 27, 2020, 02:08:14 PM

Pence is only 60 and looks in reasonably good health.

Pence vs. Buttigieg will be amazing.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on February 27, 2020, 01:57:50 PM
That is a preposterous assumption.

It's not an assumption.  It is the actual figure used by regulatory agencies spending real federal dollars.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 27, 2020, 02:08:14 PM

Trump is a germaphobe. I imagine he'll go full Howard Hughes in the White House.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

"The chances are good that you will probably not die" is probably true, but not the most comforting of statements.

I saw a clip of a Senator (I think it was Kennedy from Louisiana) asking the head of Homeland security a stupid question.  Do we have enough respirators for every person in the country? :bleeding:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 27, 2020, 02:14:45 PM

It's not an assumption.  It is the actual figure used by regulatory agencies spending real federal dollars.
I guess it shows the limitations of aggregating marginal prices into an aggregate price.  The $10M figure makes sense in the context of our current mortality rates.  When death becomes much more common, the value of life decreases in monetary terms. 

alfred russel

I realize that is what they are using, and it is way too high. it implies a value of human life in the US of $3.3 quadrillion. There are a number of ways to show that is stupid, such as estimating the number of lives that the country should completely bankrupt itself to save.

grumbler

Federal regulatory agencies have too many lawyers that results in excessive risk aversion.

I think it is amusing that you believe that your pronouncements about risk have any credibility whatsoever.  Love ya to death, but think that you are maybe the worst person I know when it comes to logically evaluating risk.  It's one harebrained scheme after another (unless all of those are just excellent trolls).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Again with the facts. Lawyers  :rolleyes:

Legbiter

What scares me the most are double-digit numbers of people requiring critcal care all at the same time. The math becomes horrendous very fast.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.